Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Pics
I really do think that all of our chicken keeping experiences offer learning opportunities, and insights. I know that I’m looking at things from both a personal and a business standpoint, and that most of the people keeping chickens on this site have more of a hobby/pet approach.

I’ve still named half my hens and all but one of my cockerel holdbacks for breeding, so it’s not “just a business” and if I ever get to the point where that’s all it is for me then I will know it’s time to stop working with animals. (I also like the names to fit the individuals... which is why some don’t have any yet!)

I’ve got an amazing opportunity with the amount of land available to me, and am lucky to have very limited predator pressures. I love the international community, pictures of other people’s chickens, and life stories as well. For all the differences, it’s also amazing to see all the similarities! I’m almost completely off Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube (last one due to Cellular Data cost), so this site is now close to the entirety of my social group (not counting the chickens and cows!)

@Kris5902

So True. Keep on doing what your doing.
Remember through don't forget to be happy.
Take time for yourself also.:bow:clap:frow:celebrate:jumpy:bun

Okies... so I just ordered 40 chicks for the end of the month... oops. Time to go into chicken tractor build overkill and brooder sorting and testing ASAP! I’m getting 10 dark Cornish pullets, 10 dark Cornish cockerels, and 20 straight run freedom ranger type birds. I plan on holding back 1 cockerel and at least 5 pullets for breeding from the dark Cornish, and maybe some of the freedom ranger pullets as well.

So, so much for the not rushing into things resolution! Now I need to figure out where I’m going to run these meat tractors. I have decided to maybe change the dimensions to fit on my utility trailer so I can run them further away from my trailer...

Okies... so I just ordered 40 chicks for the end of the month... oops. Time to go into chicken tractor build overkill and brooder sorting and testing ASAP! I’m getting 10 dark Cornish pullets, 10 dark Cornish cockerels, and 20 straight run freedom ranger type birds. I plan on holding back 1 cockerel and at least 5 pullets for breeding from the dark Cornish, and maybe some of the freedom ranger pullets as well.

So, so much for the not rushing into things resolution! Now I need to figure out where I’m going to run these meat tractors. I have decided to maybe change the dimensions to fit on my utility trailer so I can run them further away from my trailer...
Well, that's one question answered; the Cornish are a meat bird. You've still got nearly 2 weeks... :lau When I think how slowly we do things you amaze me.

@aart Can you explain further? In what way are they different & what does that mean? Are they bred for a slightly different purpose than the cornish crosses?
Totally different.
Dark Cornish are for laying eggs.
Cornish Cross are meant to be slaughtered for meat at 8 week old.

TY When I looked them up they said meat birds, not good layers, but much better to hear what people who've had them think.
Well the Dark Cornish do have decent carcasses for meat too...
...and were probably used at one time as part of the Cornish Cross hybrid that get a chunky carcass by 8 weeks.

Well the Dark Cornish do have decent carcasses for meat too...
...and were probably used at one time as part of the Cornish Cross hybrid that get a chunky carcass by 8 weeks.
Ok. Thanks so much. That has cleared things up nicely. Not a breed I've seen out here.

Back
Top Bottom