Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

That's good because a creosote fire in the chimney is not a good thing.

100% with you on that one! Our local fire department puts out regular PSA’s on it as well. Most of the island heats with wood, and most of the wood burned here is evergreens. Smart people keep more than one year’s wood on hand so it can be well seasoned and less dangerous. It’s one of my biggest annoyances with DH’s family... they don’t think about the wood until the woodshed is empty, usually September or October. There hasn’t been a single chimney fire since we moved here, (knock on wood!) Our volunteer fire department is also the only one in our area to successfully put out a major dock fire.

http://www.sifps.ca/saturna-island-dock-fire-june-5-2003/
The kid in the fourth photo on the right is now the fire chief.

100% with you on that one! Our local fire department puts out regular PSA’s on it as well. Most of the island heats with wood, and most of the wood burned here is evergreens. Smart people keep more than one year’s wood on hand so it can be well seasoned and less dangerous. It’s one of my biggest annoyances with DH’s family... they don’t think about the wood until the woodshed is empty, usually September or October. There hasn’t been a single chimney fire since we moved here, (knock on wood!) Our volunteer fire department is also the only one in our area to successfully put out a major dock fire.

http://www.sifps.ca/saturna-island-dock-fire-june-5-2003/
The kid in the fourth photo on the right is now the fire chief.

I have never even considered that docks could burn before this. But of course they could. Very cool pictures.

I have never even considered that docks could burn before this. But of course they could. Very cool pictures.

They burn quite spectacularly... and older docks, like the one in those pictures, were treated with creosote for waterproofing and pest proofing... just if @aart or anyone is wondering where the tie in to chimney fires was there.

:gig I Know, Right!!
Was browsing thru some old pics the other day and was kinda gobsmacked.

I avoid photos mostly, so....

That's about how it goes. As children we want want time to hurry up and make us adult's, and then after we finally become one, we stop paying so much attention to time. One day we wake up and discover that time has been there all along.

Too true

Back
Top Bottom