Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

I suppose I should give a little Update on Roostie, he will not be a happy camper when I get home. I left his run door closed this morning before we headed into town for our big winter shop, as his foot is still swollen and the infection seems to be traveling upwards. I am waiting on more antibiotics for him, and to top it off he’s molting and doesn’t want to be touched, never mind helped out of the roosting box in the morning.

I did have some wonderful success with Dean’s bumble though. It came out cleanly with no soaking! I just pried the edges up a bit and it came right off, no real nastiness at all! I was actually showing another new chicken keeper what they looked like and warning him that they can be more prevalent in larger breeds as he now has an “accidental” Meat bird holdback. He literally missed one bird when crating them for their trip to the processor. His wife found him all alone in the back of the chicken tractor... so now he’s the only boy in town and is quite happy with the new super models he gets to court.

I suppose I should give a little Update on Roostie, he will not be a happy camper when I get home. I left his run door closed this morning before we headed into town for our big winter shop, as his foot is still swollen and the infection seems to be traveling upwards. I am waiting on more antibiotics for him, and to top it off he’s molting and doesn’t want to be touched, never mind helped out of the roosting box in the morning.

I did have some wonderful success with Dean’s bumble though. It came out cleanly with no soaking! I just pried the edges up a bit and it came right off, no real nastiness at all! I was actually showing another new chicken keeper what they looked like and warning him that they can be more prevalent in larger breeds as he now has an “accidental” Meat bird holdback. He literally missed one bird when crating them for their trip to the processor. His wife found him all alone in the back of the chicken tractor... so now he’s the only boy in town and is quite happy with the new super models he gets to court.

I don't think it's a good thing for Roostie if it is traveling upward. That doesn't sound good at all to me.

I am quite worried about it, but unless another bumble forms I don’t know what to do about it, except order more antibiotics, and hope for the best. I think I have an arrangement for soaking it without soaking him though. So I will likely try that out soon. I’m going to use a baby wipe container to keep the foot soak contained away from his body feathers

I am quite worried about it, but unless another bumble forms I don’t know what to do about it, except order more antibiotics, and hope for the best. I think I have an arrangement for soaking it without soaking him though. So I will likely try that out soon. I’m going to use a baby wipe container to keep the foot soak contained away from his body feathers
That sounds very clever Kris. I would be interested in seeing a photo if you are able to get one.

It is not. Aggressive antibiotic treatment will be needed. What did you order Kris?
I haven’t placed my order yet... I’m not sure what I should try honestly. I wish he was a little less attached to his ladies and I could bring him inside the big coop for winter. It is raining cats and dogs and this complicates his treatment. Please remember I don’t actually have access to a vet who will treat poultry. And ordering veterinary antibiotics is not exactly permitted here. I managed to import the enrofloxacin, so I’m considering trying again with some other items.

So far I have treated him by the initial removal of the bumble, a topical antibiotic ointment to the wound site, bandaging and flushing until the foot healed (but the infection seems to have moved up further into his foot). 12 days of enrofloxacin 10%. This didn’t really help so I moved up to pradofloxacin. I had enough left from Whisper’s treatment to do 10 days of treatment, but wasn’t sure of the dosage/using it in a bird as the stuff my vet prescribed said “cats only”. It seemed to be responding to this, but I’m basically out.

I am thinking I will order more enrofloxacin, some Amoxy-Tyl amoxicillin 20% tylosin 40% powder.
I could also get 10% amoxicillin or the tylosin separately. Or trimethoprim/sulfa SMZ? I’m open to any suggestions at this point...

I haven’t placed my order yet... I’m not sure what I should try honestly. I wish he was a little less attached to his ladies and I could bring him inside the big coop for winter. It is raining cats and dogs and this complicates his treatment. Please remember I don’t actually have access to a vet who will treat poultry. And ordering veterinary antibiotics is not exactly permitted here. I managed to import the enrofloxacin, so I’m considering trying again with some other items.

So far I have treated him by the initial removal of the bumble, a topical antibiotic ointment to the wound site, bandaging and flushing until the foot healed (but the infection seems to have moved up further into his foot). 12 days of enrofloxacin 10%. This didn’t really help so I moved up to pradofloxacin. I had enough left from Whisper’s treatment to do 10 days of treatment, but wasn’t sure of the dosage/using it in a bird as the stuff my vet prescribed said “cats only”. It seemed to be responding to this, but I’m basically out.

I am thinking I will order more enrofloxacin, some Amoxy-Tyl amoxicillin 20% tylosin 40% powder.
I could also get 10% amoxicillin or the tylosin separately. Or trimethoprim/sulfa SMZ? I’m open to any suggestions at this point...
I'm very interested in this. Hopefully by bob is writing his answer. If it helps, Peggy just came off a course of Clavulox which prevented infection after her surgery.

This is what she had to take https://www.petceutics.com.au/prescriptions/clavulox-drops-15ml-out-of-stock-no-eta.html

Back
Top Bottom