lack of bird vets

Evangitron

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
I think we need more bird vets and universal vet care. Took our sick hen who has no appetite, has some diarhea and a crop full of liquid that is not emptying overnight. Vet was nice but really is a cat and dog vet. She said the hens crop felt squishy because it was empty. I think empty crops don't feel like there is liquid in them? She did look at runny green poo under a microscope and thought there were parasite eggs. So we did the worming. Hen temp was very slightly elevated so she wanted to do antibiotic to cover it...which is what people doctors do. Only antibiotic they had was a cat antibiotic so I opted out as hen is old and kidneys liver might be not functioning well.I may be sorry but there was no definitive indication of infection other than hen won't eat much and is slowly declining as well as the small temperature increas . But I did put warm towels around her for tne ride and had used a heating pad about an hour before.

Bless you.
Sadly, quality avian vets are as rare as hens teeth.
Worse yet, they focus on exotics and those with poultry experience are extremely rare.
We're uniquely blessed to have several poultry vets within an hour's drive. But the real good ones are so busy, you can get an appointment in a timely manner.
One of the problems is that there are far fewer vet schools today with poultry programs than there were 20+ years ago. The upsurge of backyard poultry and small holder numbers vs. commercial poultry operations are like ships passing in the night.
There are still lots of good poultry vets but the vast majority work in the dedicated commercial egg and meat industry.
Other avian vets normally care for expensive exotic birds and tend to not care that much about chickens.
In the future, your best bet is to find the avian pathologist at your state vet school or USDA lab.
What state do you live in?

I think we need more bird vets and universal vet care. Took our sick hen who has no appetite, has some diarhea and a crop full of liquid that is not emptying overnight. Vet was nice but really is a cat and dog vet. She said the hens crop felt squishy because it was empty. I think empty crops don't feel like there is liquid in them? She did look at runny green poo under a microscope and thought there were parasite eggs. So we did the worming. Hen temp was very slightly elevated so she wanted to do antibiotic to cover it...which is what people doctors do. Only antibiotic they had was a cat antibiotic so I opted out as hen is old and kidneys liver might be not functioning well.I may be sorry but there was no definitive indication of infection other than hen won't eat much and is slowly declining as well as the small temperature increas . But I did put warm towels around her for tne ride and had used a heating pad about an hour before.
I agree.
I’ve read on other sites, often sites that are promoting the welfare of chickens, condemnations of chicken keepers (the criticism was mainly leveled at backyard chicken keepers) who treat chickens for illnesses and injuries without having the qualifications or expertise.
I’m lucky, the vet I have here is accessible, cheap and friendly and has in the past specialized in fowl.
What I wonder are those who can’t afford vet care or don’t even have a vet close by supposed to do when a chickens gets sick? let them die.
I’m very much in favour of chicken welfare but I thought such criticisms rather unfair.
We do indeed need vets trained in poultry care and what’s more they need to be affordable.

Bless you.
Sadly, quality avian vets are as rare as hens teeth.
Worse yet, they focus on exotics and those with poultry experience are extremely rare.
We're uniquely blessed to have several poultry vets within an hour's drive. But the real good ones are so busy, you can get an appointment in a timely manner.
One of the problems is that there are far fewer vet schools today with poultry programs than there were 20+ years ago. The upsurge of backyard poultry and small holder numbers vs. commercial poultry operations are like ships passing in the night.
There are still lots of good poultry vets but the vast majority work in the dedicated commercial egg and meat industry.
Other avian vets normally care for expensive exotic birds and tend to not care that much about chickens.
In the future, your best bet is to find the avian pathologist at your state vet school or USDA lab.
What state do you live in?
Oregon. Does it seem that antibiltics seem tl bd kverused just like in human medicine? A just jn case, lets throw them at it kind of approach?

So we did the worming.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Happy to have someone on board who isn't interested in throwing meds at unidentified illness. :wootToo many people on here are ALL about over using antibiotics.

Sorry your hen is having trouble. :(

What did she worm for or with? Did she say what kind of parasite? How old is your hen? Is she drinking.

Also... squishy crop is indicator something is slow somewhere... sour crop or crop impaction maybe? Is there any sour smell?

See if this site can help you at all...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Oregon. Does it seem that antibiltics seem tl bd kverused just like in human medicine? A just jn case, lets throw them at it kind of approach?
That is especially true of vets that don't have poultry experience.
The big issue is that most antibiotic families used in livestock are the very same ones that are used for humans. Overuse is one of our worst health concerns.
Thank you for the question.
Here's your poultry lab.
Oregon State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Magruder Hall 134
700 SW 30th St
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-8628
Phone: 541-737-3261

It wouldn't hurt to establish a relationship with their avian pathologist.. Just a phone call will work.
They might even know of a good avian/poultry vet near you.
Also, if you were to lose a bird, ask them how they want it delivered for diagnostics.
Also, ask how to send a bird if one dies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom