Ladders or other climbables?

WCflockers

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Illinois
Just curious what you do? I have tried to build ladders out of tree limbs/stick and twine for my flock, but I am failing at greatness for the most part, so just wondering....do you build your air perch structures or buy them from somewhere? My husband has built a long nice perch for them inside of the coop, but I am just looking to add some extra options for fun and interest. Thanks!

Anyway you could get a hold of a tree trunk? I have my waterer up on a Tubberware bowl and the chicks love to play with it when I'm refilling the waterer. I honestly think they are interested in the different sound. Once they have a run I plan on stringing up some bells for them

Funny that you ask. I just build something today. I had to build a ramp to the pop door(10inx12in) that is about 28in above the ground. I used a 1x8 board that was roughly 44 in long. I made marks every 4 in starting 2in from the bottom. Next i grabbed some spare pieces of 1x6 and 1x4 that were laying around, i used my table saw to rip pieces that were 3/4x3/4in and 7 1/4 in long. i made a line of wood glue along the marked lines and put the wood pieces down . After all were glued down i let them dry for a bit and then used my power nailer to shoot 1 1/4 in staples into the wood pieces(did the same on the back) i will post a pic tomorrow since its dark now.

Funny that you ask. I just build something today. I had to build a ramp to the pop door(10inx12in) that is about 28in above the ground. I used a 1x8 board that was roughly 44 in long. I made marks every 4 in starting 2in from the bottom. Next i grabbed some spare pieces of 1x6 and 1x4 that were laying around, i used my table saw to rip pieces that were 3/4x3/4in and 7 1/4 in long. i made a line of wood glue along the marked lines and put the wood pieces down . After all were glued down i let them dry for a bit and then used my power nailer to shoot 1 1/4 in staples into the wood pieces(did the same on the back) i will post a pic tomorrow since its dark now.
We just got finished with the roost for ours but I fixed it for them when they're older and planned on doing a little ramp up to the 1st and 2nd board so they could get up there on it. Good idea!!! The first board is 12" off the ground.

I dont actually have my chickens yet, got to wait until my hubby retires from the Army later this year . But i will put a order in as soon as he get his orders. I deceided to build the coop early so i can get them the day he retires.

My girls have a 2x4 turn wide side down. Nice and long. They other night I noticed two if the crammed up against the window balancing on a skinny little ledge. There was feathers and ties poking through the hardware cloth. So I build a nice shelf up there with a 2x6 flat side own. Now all 8 girls are up the sleeping. Not sure what they are going to do when they are full grown.

Back
Top Bottom