Ladies, Do you know how to change a tire on your vehicle?

Ladies, do you know how to change a tire on your vehicle?

• Yes, I do and I will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but prefer not to

• No way

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, but I'd be willing to learn

• Total voters
WOW, after reading some of these posts I'm suprised. I changed a tire when I was 13 because my mom and aunt didn't know how so they let/made me do it. I can change oil, plugs, alternator swap out, body work, radiator swap outs and flush, I even changed the rear wheel bearings in an old 75 Mercury Comet I had. I was thinking everybody knew how to change a tire of both genders! Of course I've had a lot of crappy cars and even crappier boyfriends, but...I had NO IDEA! Now if I can just market me skills...lol!

I can change a tire, but haven't done it in almost ten years. I tried to change the tire on the side of the highway but the tire had been put on with one of those air ratchets and there was no way I could get them off. DH and I agreed that most of the time the tire was put on that way and it was pretty much a waste of time to try..
roll.png

I used to know how to do all sorts of stuff to my car, but now the car is so complicated! I can't do anything!
idunno.gif

I can't imagine not knowing how to do it. My driver's ed instructor also taught us during the class for the few who didn't know.

There are still places in this world where it is to far to walk for help, cell phones don't get service, and other cars coming by are few and far between. This time of year, it's not impossible for you to freeze to death if you can't do it yourself.

Please, if you don't know, learn.

I have a couple friends who would still be alive if they knew how. They pulled off the side of the road on a wide corner, but had to walk to the next exit to get to a phone. Between where they were and where the exit was, the road had a bend. While they were walking, another driver fell asleep at the wheel (drunk) and didn't turn for the bend. Plowed right into them.

Last edited:
I do know but prefer not to, mainly because those lug nuts can be really difficult to get loose. And it also depends on the conditions. If it's in my own driveway on a lovely spring day with a fine breeze blowing, why not? But if it's in the middle of the night on the side of a busy freeway in a scary part of town during a freezing winter rainstorm, then really, I'd prefer not to.

When my first car got its first flat tire I asked my Dad if he'd help me change it for the spare. "Sure thing!" he said, and I was so grateful for the offer. But when we went outside, his "help" consisted of verbal directions telling me step by step how to do the job myself. I was smart enough even back then to recognize this as the BEST kind of help he could ever give me.
love.gif
Thanks, Pop!
love.gif

Quote:
I know how to change a flat, and I know how to put a new tire on the rim and replace it. I know that I can change the flat, however, I'm not 100% sure if I'd be able to take the tire off of the rim and replace it with a new one or not. I've watched it done, and it doesn't seem to be any easy feat.
However, if you're talking about calling an insurance company or something, then they need to get off of their arses and help you out. Doesn't matter if you can do it yourself or not, they're getting paid to do it.

As someone else said of their area, here, it's way too far to reach help (often times many miles), cars don't always stop if they see you, and, here there isn't any cell service for over half an hour's drive in any direction. Add onto this that I almost always have my 10 month old and my 2 year old with me.
If I see someone on the side of the road though, I make certain to stop and make sure that they're ok, or to see if they need help. It's part of the mountain rules, you never know when it could be you. Even if you can't be of much help, sometimes just the headlights on your vehicle can make a world of difference for someone who's trying to change a tire.

I can change my tires, Oil, Spark plugs, wires and replace my engine & tranmission if need be.

I took mechanics in junior high....lol

but I married a man that will do it all for me when he is home. However with as much as he works out of town, State & country, I am glad I know how.!

Quote:
It's not easy. However with the right tools it's not too bad. I'm about the size of a 12 year old and I can do it. My dad has the tools, that my grandpa made, although you can buy them at TSC back by the truck boxes.
Without the tire buster tools it's a very difficult task to break the bead seal! Plus then you need a pretty high powered air compressor to get a new tire to take a bead. Generally though, you can save that part for at home in the garage with the right tools. Just make sure that you can get your spare on the ground, then crawl back home to do the heavy duty stuff!

ONE time I ran over a curb, ran into it more accurately. Bent 2 rims slightly and pinched the tires at the rim. On Thanksgiving day no less, at like 4:00pm. Me and hubby had to walk to his car (we were about 3 miles out) then drive to a place to buy rims (coz I only had 1 spare) then get 2 new tires put on the new rims --- coz I didn't have the tire buster tools obviously, then drive to my grandparents for thanksgiving! THAT was a narrowly avoided disaster because we weren't too far from another vehicle and we made it to the tire store JUST in time!

Back
Top Bottom