Lame Duck Question..

And now! Duck Duck is not okay! I was out watching them and noticed one of the chicks pecked her vent area, and then pecked it again, actually looked like they were pecking something off of her. So,I looked at her vent and in was horribly bloody! I scooped her up and separated her from the others but I don't know what to do. It looks horrible!
What do I put on it? Is this even something she can heal from? Should I just cull her?:(

Ok, so there is swelling in her left leg, where to orange meets the white feathers. Does that mean it's broken? I don't want to make her anymore uncomfortable than she already is. So, I'm not going to make her walk anymore.

And I took a picture of her vent area, the best I could anyway. She stopped bleeding, I believe the only reason she was bleeding is because the chicks were pecking at her. I don't know what her vent is suppose to look like.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! The picture is below...

IMG_0646.JPG

I haven't seen a lot of vents but that doesn't look right to me... She should be separated from those chicks for sure - and make sure there are no maggots in or near her vent. You'll want to treat it - and maybe start with a soak in some Braggs apple cider vinegar to relieve the discomfort. I can't comment on the leg. Is a vet an option? I"m so sorry for her and you....

I haven't seen a lot of vents but that doesn't look right to me... She should be separated from those chicks for sure - and make sure there are no maggots in or near her vent. You'll want to treat it - and maybe start with a soak in some Braggs apple cider vinegar to relieve the discomfort. I can't comment on the leg. Is a vet an option? I"m so sorry for her and you....

Thank you! I have her in a dog crate, small enough to where she doesn't have to walk to get her food & water but she can stand up and turn around in. So the Apple Cider has to be Braggs or can I use the brand I have, it is organic Natures Intent? And you don't think it will burn? How much ACV should I put in her bath water? No vet, unfortunately!

Thank you! I have her in a dog crate, small enough to where she doesn't have to walk to get her food & water but she can stand up and turn around in. So the Apple Cider has to be Braggs or can I use the brand I have, it is organic Natures Intent? And you don't think it will burn? How much ACV should I put in her bath water? No vet, unfortunately!
oh yeah any ACV organic should be fine. I think 2 TBS per gallon is good for soaking - and it won't hurt if she drinks it either. It won't burn - it is my go to for any skin/feather issue. After she's soaked and dried, I'd coat it with something - I use green goo animal first aid ointment or the poultry spray from TSC. Both are natural and won't hurt her. I'm sure someone else will reply with other advice and info on that leg....

Back
Top Bottom