Lame Duck

jowilt

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 23, 2012
My Pekin drake is lame this morning. His leg is swollen and warn. It is difficult for him to get around, not walking much. I have no vet around here to consult. Can anyone help me?

Does it have any cuts on it? Does anything appear to be broken?

I didn't see any openings. I don't think anything broken but not sure

You can check & see if his Achilles Tendon has slipped out of his hock groove. There is info on that & some other leg problems you can look through on the Poultry Podiatry page on the site linked in my sig below. However, not all leg problems are covered there & he may have a problem that's not listed.
Best wishes in figuring out what's going on with him!

Any sign of bumblefoot?

I would start applying Epsom salts compresses twice a day. If it's a sprain or a pull, that should help quite a bit. Don't let him ingest the E.s. it is a laxative.

Also, a lukewarm bath deep enough to float in will take pressure off the leg and improve circulation. Is there anything wrapped around the leg, high up where you might not easily see it?

Last edited:
I will try to examine leg n see if I can feel anything out of normal I'll also put an Epsom compress on for alittle while, see if that might help Thanks all

Can I give him anything for pain?
Give him baby aspirin or .81 meg aspirin I use bread to give it to them. I have a big drake probably 12 lbs that gets 2 .81 meg coated aspirin 2X a day I take a small piece of bread put the aspirin inside then roll it up and hold it in my hand tight while I go out to give it to him that keeps the bread stuck together. Try this for a couple days and see if it helps since aspirin is good for inflammation. Plus soaking or compresses will help too. and please keep us updated on his condition and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom