Lame leg after baytril

I'm pretty positive it's not mareks and is a direct result from the baytril injection. It happened literally right after the injection...meaning they had rattly breathing and sick, running around on both legs just fine, I pick up chick and give injection and set down and immediately chick won't walk on injected leg. There are 2 of them which are walking on the top of the foot on the injected leg. They scurry about just fine, but obviously can not live like this. I'm trying the vitamin B therapy as suggested...but I'm thinking at this point the issue is still going on then it is probably permanent damage. Sucks. Do you guys think a splint forcing the foot down would be a good idea?

I'm pretty positive it's not mareks and is a direct result from the baytril injection. It happened literally right after the injection...meaning they had rattly breathing and sick, running around on both legs just fine, I pick up chick and give injection and set down and immediately chick won't walk on injected leg. There are 2 of them which are walking on the top of the foot on the injected leg. They scurry about just fine, but obviously can not live like this. I'm trying the vitamin B therapy as suggested...but I'm thinking at this point the issue is still going on then it is probably permanent damage. Sucks. Do you guys think a splint forcing the foot down would be a good idea?
Yes I do It certainly can't hurt at this point I think the only way this will be permanent is if they learn to walk the way they are now I am thinking you will need to have something fairly rigid to run from the back of the leg down under the foot to keep it from bending back anymore Just make sure everything you use is padded well so it doesn't cause more troubles with sores and such from rubbing

Update! Good news, the splint worked! We have successfully re-formed one of the pullet's feet using a splint made out of popsicle sticks and vet wrap and are waiting too see if we are successful on the other. I am pretty amazed and proud considering how badly the feet were turned! Pullet A is now walking normally! The first splint on pullet B would not stay on right, so we removed it and gave the foot a couple days to rest, and then reset it in another sturdier splint...so far she is doing well. She is now being forced to walk on the bottom of her foot as she should be instead of walking on the top. I'm hoping this splint is as successful as pullet A's was! I'll update when we take it off.

thumbsup.gif
Good to hear!

-Kathy

I read something that says most injections should be given in the breast, not the leg. Something about a renal shunt.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom