Land lords dog killed 9 of my flock :(

That is surprising. Ohio considers other dogs and cats to "natural enemies". They are not protected by the law as livestock and humans are. :/

In SC a dog that roams and does any damage is in trouble. I know one dog owner that was taken to court for his dog killing neighborhood cats. The judge ordered the dog to be put down - at the owner's expense.........

The judge's decision was based on the thought that the dog owner had the right to own the dog, but by law was responsible for keeping the dog from roaming the neighborhood.

He also stated that the cat owners also had the right to own cats. However, he warned the cat owners that it was also thrir responsibility to keep their cats confined to their property.

In this case, the cat owner had witnesses that the cat was on their property.

A lot of confusion on this subject. I'm glad I am not in Ohio.

I not only have to try to protect my chickens but have found myself explaining to neighbors that if their animals stray to my property they are at risk. My 85lb pit does not run the neighborhood. He's very protective and territorial. he's even protective over my flock and warns me of predators. That is his job. I have let irresponsible pet owners know that not only is it a danger to my animals but to their own and if their animals are on my property I am not responsible for any lose they may incur.(That is the law here) I had one neighbor( thankfully she moved) who suggested I allow a dogfight to teach her dog to stay home. That was after I explained that Jack would kill her dog, please keep him off my property.

On a brighter note, at least the raccoons get it. I have not had a chicken killed since I got Jack. He went after my roo 1 time, I scolded him. He's so smart that from then on he has made it his job to protect my chickens. A good dog will go against its nature to please it's master.

A blood thirsty stray is way different. An animal killing for food is normal. Indiscriminate killing just to kill is not.

Nah. Ohio is easy. Livestock takes precedence over dog. Basically... any dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal (besides a cat or another dog) is a target. Dog owner has no recourse. They are automatically liable for any and all damages caused by their "beloved" dog.

ORC 955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.

(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

(B) The owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog, unless the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time, was committing or attempting to commit criminal trespass or another criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer, or was committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor against any person, or was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog on the owner's, keeper's, or harborer's property. Additionally, the owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog if the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time of the injury, death, or loss, was on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer solely for the purpose of engaging in door-to-door sales or other solicitations regardless of whether the individual was in compliance with any requirement to obtain a permit or license to engage in door-to-door sales or other solicitations established by the political subdivision in which the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer is located, provided that the person was not committing a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor or was not teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog.

Effective Date: 07-10-1987; 2008 HB71 09-30-2008

Nah. Ohio is easy. Livestock takes precedence over dog. Basically... any dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal (besides a cat or another dog) is a target. Dog owner has no recourse. They are automatically liable for any and all damages caused by their "beloved" dog.

Glad to hear it. I misunderstood. That's how it should be. I have recued and raised Pit Bulls for 20yrs. I have raised one kind of bird or another that whole time. I manage my animals well. I would not expect any different treatment if my dog was the culprit. It's part of being a responsible pet owner.

Last edited:
I'm def going to be moving, the landlord freed my last two chickens and his dog killed the other two, i know it was him there was nobody else :'( i wasn't home when it happend but i saw the bodies when i got home, the exact markings from when he killed my other chickens, nothing aten just bite marks on the neck, big teeth marks, no missing feet, legs or anything, oh i'm so crushed inside i dont even know what to think. He even asked me "how are your things in the backyard today" the door has a big sliding part to move to open, he's the only one who could've known about going back there, i will never get more chickens while being here, my cats are strictly indoor now,

I'm def going to be moving, the landlord freed my last two chickens and his dog killed the other two, i know it was him there was nobody else :'( i wasn't home when it happend but i saw the bodies when i got home, the exact markings from when he killed my other chickens, nothing aten just bite marks on the neck, big teeth marks, no missing feet, legs or anything, oh i'm so crushed inside i dont even know what to think. He even asked me "how are your things in the backyard today" the door has a big sliding part to move to open, he's the only one who could've known about going back there, i will never get more chickens while being here, my cats are strictly indoor now,

I'm so sorry. I bet you have no way to prove it either. What is this guys problem, I would make a police report anyway. Someone like that could be dangerous. I would do a lot worse too, but definitely make a report. You may need the records later.

That really stinks - I hate hearing about this stuff - some people are just jerks.

This sort of stuff is one of the reasons why I report things to the police instead of trying to work things out with landlords/neighbors/etc. Having a paper trail is a really good thing.

The silver lining is that the landlord just gave you a very clear reason to not feel safe in the apartment - which is one of the legal reasons you can break a lease in most states.

I would call the police, keep very good records, move asap , and file civil charges for loss of property and mental distress. That may sound drastic but this guys behavior is not normal. Even if the Police can't arrest its easier to prove a civil case and you can not be arrested or fined for doing so. You have rights and legally can not be punished for using them. I hope you are not living alone that would just add to the stress.

Crazytalk is right, you do not have to pay to live in an unsafe dwelling.

Good luck and if you do live alone maybe you have a friend that might stay over for moral support.

Ugh - this is horrible! So sorry!

Most everyone has helpful advice, but the truth is sometimes the only thing you can do is make your area into a safe sanctuary. We've been through a similar situation with an irresponsible dog owner.... talking, then pleading, then police, then animal control. The final word was that until the "next time" there isn't much that can be done. I'm guessing that as a tenant you won't even get this far without making your life completely miserable.

Shooting the dog would have been the best option for us - but irresponsible dog owners tend to get more dogs. The right kind of person (wrong kind?) may also retaliate if they're held responsible for anything. So.... sometimes you have to do what you have to do, regardless of how "unfair". Move if you can or accept that "it is what it is" and keep your animals out of this person's way.

Too bad life isn't more fair.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom