Langshan Thread!!!

I'm sorry nobody ever answered your question. I was hoping someone more experienced than me would know. Now that I've watched a lot of my chicks grow up this summer, I think I can say that yours is probably a cockerel. (Which after all these weeks, you probably figured out by now. ;) )
And I think it does look like it could be a Langshan. Or at least part Langshan. Do you have recent photos of it?
Thank you for answering! Nope, still don't know if its a cockerel or pullet. Its 24 weeks old now, and doesn't crow,mate or lay eggs. We have no other roosters. Its decided to molt! It def looks male, but acts like a pullet. Weirdo. This is him/her laying in the bin in the front
118.jpg

PetRock, have you moved to your new land yet?
IO
Hi, All! Sorry that I haven't been on lately. We have been packing, painting, etc. in preparation to list our house. I need to do some serious culling of my flock. Is anyone in the SF Bay area down to Santa Cruz Or up to Tahoe looking for BBS large fowl Langshan? I have a large number of juveniles from this year's hatches.

Well, I found this thread and hope I can get an opinion from ya'll that are familiar with langshan. I have this young bird that I thought was cochin, but its leg feathering seems too thin and its tail carriage seems tooView attachment 1088230 View attachment 1088232 View attachment 1088234 View attachment 1088236 View attachment 1088238 high. Its between 14-17 weeks old. Can you tell me if its langshan? Is it a cockerel?

Hello andreanar, I apologize for my delay. Yes, this appears to be a cockerel. It's possible it is a black Langshan or part Langshan. We'd need to wait and see for a bit to see how he will develop to be certain.

Hello andreanar, I apologize for my delay. Yes, this appears to be a cockerel. It's possible it is a black Langshan or part Langshan. We'd need to wait and see for a bit to see how he will develop to be certain.
Yep, it took me until he was 6 months old, but he crowed! And filled out to true roo form! He is beautiful. He is now living at a friends farm with her full grown hens.
165.jpg

Hi,
Which hatchery has the largest/best Langshans, with a calm personality? I don't want show or even breeding quality, just a few to try out the breed, but I'm ordering from several hatcheries this year so I'm curious which ones are best and largest (I know hatchery stock is usually much smaller the SOP). Thanks!

I just found an absolutely outstanding breeder for blue, black and splash Langshans. I can't wait to get the eggs!
May I ask what breeder you found, or if you’re now selling your own chicks perhaps? I love the B/B/S colors and the regal nature of the beauties! I’ve been researching around to see if one can selectively breed for a greater tendency to throw the plum bloom on the eggs, but thus far haven’t found anything on the topic. I’d love to try and select for strongly feathered legs and greater bloom tendency if that is passed on. @rodriguezpoultry if you have any feedback it’s greatly appreciated also!

Back
Top Bottom