Large BR Pullet about to be 36 weeks and hasn't laid!

Pics
She might be intersexed, she’s a late bloomer, or she may just not lay (happens in all species).

We also had a BR from hatchery lines that had a huge comb that flopped over like a red Elvis hairdo. She had the body of a hen, but she also crowed a couple of times and took over as a roo after he was dispatched. She also had very beautiful eggs that she used to sit on, be it briefly.

That being said, she seems to favour you too. Unless there’s some mysterious crowing and wing dropping, I believe you have a very special girl. 😊
Thank you! I've said she was special since she was a chick ♡ She is very loving and the calmest chicken. Loves being held and softly peeps to me when I rock her 🥰

I'm not an expert, but I've read about instances where hens spontaneously become roosters in the absence of a rooster. They can't fertilize eggs, etc but develop some rooster traits and tend to protect the flock like a roo would. I know it sounds crazy but you can research it.
I've heard of this too and considered it a possibility!

I would like to know your reasoning that it "cannot be" male.

She does not have male specific feathering and is not a member of a hen feathered breed.

It’s floppy huge comb and wattles but for you I hope it’s a hen

LOTS of single comb hatchery stock pullets/hens develop large combs and wattles. I have had hens that have combs twice the size of my roosters. Comb size is not gender specific.

I also think it's a Roo. It just hasn't crowed yet. My BR hen looks just like Love My Chickens, and started laying at 22 weeks. I also think the vent picture looks more Roo than hen.

She's still a pullet!

Yours also has HUGE feet especially like that last picture you recently posted I don’t know good luck

My Cuckoo Marans are both very large hens with thick legs and large feet to hold them up.

Looks like a rooster to me too.

And yet, she's still a pullet.

I've heard of this too and considered it a possibility!

Females don't spontaneously change gender. They more gradually take on male characteristics.
Is she mounting the other pullets?
Is she crowing? (Yes, a hen can crow).
Is she issuing predator alerts?
If none of the above, she is a late bloomer or she may not lay.

But that bird is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, female.

ETA: As for the requests for a better look at the spur buds to see if that gal is actually a rooster in the making, meet Olivia, layer of gorgeous olive colored eggs, and her spurs!
IMG_20200419_180556838.jpg

Last edited:
She does not have male specific feathering and is not a member of a hen feathered breed.

LOTS of single comb hatchery stock pullets/hens develop large combs and wattles. I have had hens that have combs twice the size of my roosters. Comb size is not gender specific.

She's still a pullet!

My Cuckoo Marans are both very large hens with thick legs and large feet to hold them up.

And yet, she's still a pullet.

Females don't spontaneously change gender. They more gradually take on male characteristics.
Is she mounting the other pullets?
Is she crowing? (Yes, a hen can crow).
Is she issuing predator alerts?
If none of the above, she is a late bloomer or she may not lay.

But that bird is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, female.

ETA: As for the requests for a better look at the spur buds to see if that gal is actually a rooster in the making, meet Olivia, layer of gorgeous olive colored eggs, and her spurs!
View attachment 2385070
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to these comments. Alma is a big girl and I am very confident now that she is indeed female. When I first started this thread I wasn't even questioning her gender but rather worried something was wrong that could possibly harm her. I can see how some may have at first thought the answer was that she is simply a rooster. Even my partner continues to question her although he is by no means a chicken expert and like many is judging her by her comb. I have always stood firmly for her being female ever since she didn't take on Roo traits past 20 weeks. She's large but definitely not in charge, she's never mounted, has the silliest/sweetest temperament, and is the quietest chicken in all the land. Her bawks are mere peeps as she inquisitively inspects your hands for any signs of treats 😆 I really appreciate your confirmation of her gender though, and the photo of those beautiful hen spurs!

Hi all!

One of my two girls still hasn't laid her first egg and I'm beginning to worry. She's a rather large girl, I believe a BR, and close to 36 weeks. Is this normal??

My other girl is an Olive Egger, much smallet than the BR and started laying back in July. She's a solid every day layer.

The BR still doesn't squat and her legs are still very close together when she stands. She's overall very healthy with a full and quite large bright red comb. Its been large and red for over a month now.

I'm about to add 4 more girls to the flock and after that I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if she's laying or not 😅

View attachment 2379157
View attachment 2379159
View attachment 2379160
View attachment 2379161
“She” sure looks like a “He” to my untrained eye - I have a barred rock gal & her comb is tiny

Hi all!

One of my two girls still hasn't laid her first egg and I'm beginning to worry. She's a rather large girl, I believe a BR, and close to 36 weeks. Is this normal??

My other girl is an Olive Egger, much smallet than the BR and started laying back in July. She's a solid every day layer.

The BR still doesn't squat and her legs are still very close together when she stands. She's overall very healthy with a full and quite large bright red comb. Its been large and red for over a month now.

I'm about to add 4 more girls to the flock and after that I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if she's laying or not 😅

View attachment 2379157
View attachment 2379159
View attachment 2379160
View attachment 2379161
You got a trans ginger chicken

Back
Top Bottom