Large Eggs

Camshaft

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Cape Breton Island
My hens are in their 24 week and have been laying eggs since their 19th week. Their eggs weigh in around the 50 gram size. This mourning all of a sudden I find a giant of an egg in the nesting box. It weighed in at 85.04 grams or 3 1/2 oz. I just wasn't ready for it....I know that they can lay monsters but I thought it would take a while??

It's probably a double yolker. That happens when their internal egg laying factory messes up and releases two yolks at the same time. It means she probably will not lay the next day.

Yes, it's probably a double yolker. When new pullets begin laying, you get all sorts of weird eggs. (double yolkers, soft shelled, etc) It's just their bodies adjusting to egg laying.

I agree with you both about the process they are going through but she did lay a big one again today ( not as big as the first one)... my scale was out of wack...a friend came over with a proper scale and the egg weighed in at 95 grams. I'll wait to see if she takes a break for a day or two or keeps on laying monsters. You know, this is like Xmas every mourning!! :)

Back
Top Bottom