Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while but wanted your opinion on my splash cockerel. At the moment he is 6-7 months old I think. Not going to lie I am a bit disappointed in how he is turning out... His tail looks to be a bunny tail, to short and held flat rather than at a upward angle, and he stands very erect like a serama. What do you all think? Be completely honest. If he is crap I don't want to breed him. *Sigh* It sucks these guys were all I could get out of my lost flock :/. His dad looked so much nicer and was so much bigger to. They all seem so small to me...

Pictures of my ratty hens. Will get better pictures of them once they molt.

I am no expert but he does stand awfully tall. What would happen if you breed him a few times to see if you could get a chicken more like his dad? Would hate to see all his genes lost. Then again I have not bred chickens so it might not even work.

I am no expert but he does stand awfully tall. What would happen if you breed him a few times to see if you could get a chicken more like his dad? Would hate to see all his genes lost. Then again I have not bred chickens so it might not even work.

I agree he stands really tall. I have 3 of his daughters that are very nice with type. I may just have to find another rooster to pair with the 3 pullets I was able to get from him.

Dracoe19, here are the photos I mentioned. Both breeders have beautiful birds and are very helpful...willing to share information and advice.

These girls are from eggs from MrHeinz77 with a rooster from Carl Jarvis

The Black rooster is from eggs from Bo Garrett and the two white hens are from him also. The Blue is from Heinz's eggs..both pictures

These are the two Blue roosters I've used this year...from eggs from Bo Garrett. They are both molting right now.
Big Blue from last fall

Big Blue and High Stepper taken Mother's Day.

Big Blue on left and High Stepper in front...showing where he got his name

So after a couple of false starts with purchasing some Bantam Cochins that weren't good type, I've finally got the foundation for my Cochin (LF) flock. I live very close to Tom Roebuck so I contacted him to see if he had a barred rooster and a couple of buff hens and a barred hen available. Turns out he did and I came home with them. These will be for both a Buff Barred Project and Barred Cochins.

This a trio coming Wednesday of already started Buff Barred project to add to my flock.

After a year of wanting cochins but not finding the quality birds I wanted to start with, I'm excited to get started in LF Cochins.

Last edited:
Dracoe19, here are the photos I mentioned. Both breeders have beautiful birds and are very helpful...willing to share information and advice. These girls are from eggs from MrHeinz77 with a rooster from Carl Jarvis The Black rooster is from eggs from Bo Garrett and the two white hens are from him also. The Blue is from Heinz's eggs..both pictures These are the two Blue roosters I've used this year...from eggs from Bo Garrett. They are both molting right now. Big Blue from last fall Big Blue and High Stepper taken Mother's Day. Big Blue on left and High Stepper in front...showing where he got his name
Wow they are gorgeous! Thanks for all the pictures they are great comparison reference

So after a couple of false starts with purchasing some Bantam Cochins that weren't good type, I've finally got the foundation for my Cochin (LF) flock. I live very close to Tom Roebuck so I contacted him to see if he had a barred rooster and a couple of buff hens and a barred hen available. Turns out he did and I came home with them. These will be for both a Buff Barred Project and Barred Cochins.

This a trio coming Wednesday of already started Buff Barred project to add to my flock.

After a year of wanting cochins but not finding the quality birds I wanted to start with, I'm excited to get started in LF Cochins.
That roo you are going to use for your project is beautiful! I love it. I can't wait to see the results :D

Back
Top Bottom