Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Ok, experts I need help with gender on one of my cochins. When I posted pictures of them when they were 7 weeks old I got some mixed reviews. I had one person say one of them was a cockeral and another say I had all pullets. I was leaning more towards all pullets because they all had the same amount of comb development and lack of color in the combs. Now I am not sure about one of them. It has a larger comb right now but it is still pale and no wattles are coming in yet. They are 13 weeks old right now. Here are the pictures of them.
This is the best closeup I could get of the comb.

Here it is with my other lighter blue cochin and my polish. It is the one in the back.

Help please! Do I have a cockeral or a pullet? I already have 2 cockerals in this batch of chicks and I am sure we are not keeping 3 cockerals if this one ends up being a roo as well.

The blue birds in those photos are pullets, although the one in the back that you are asking about isn't a Cochin. It doesn't have any feathers on its legs.
Ok, experts I need help with gender on one of my cochins. When I posted pictures of them when they were 7 weeks old I got some mixed reviews. I had one person say one of them was a cockeral and another say I had all pullets. I was leaning more towards all pullets because they all had the same amount of comb development and lack of color in the combs. Now I am not sure about one of them. It has a larger comb right now but it is still pale and no wattles are coming in yet. They are 13 weeks old right now. Here are the pictures of them.
This is the best closeup I could get of the comb.

Here it is with my other lighter blue cochin and my polish. It is the one in the back.

Help please! Do I have a cockeral or a pullet? I already have 2 cockerals in this batch of chicks and I am sure we are not keeping 3 cockerals if this one ends up being a roo as well.

The blue birds in those photos are pullets, although the one in the back that you are asking about isn't a Cochin. It doesn't have any feathers on its legs.
I looked today and she has a couple feathers on her legs. Definately not as much as the other 2 cochins I have though. So she may be mixed with something or she may just have poor leg feathering. It's okay either way I just have a mixed flock of chickens for laying/pets. I won't be doing any purebred breeding or anything like that.

Can someone tell me what color shank and feet Black and/or Blue Cochins should have according to the standard. I have several here from different breeders and have both dark and yellow shanks and feet. Does it matter,,, are both colors acceptable ???

I saw your post and I know it's been over a yr, but I just had to respond....I completely agree, I get tired of sorting through tons on bantum threads, just to find ONE LF Cochin thread. It drives me CRAZY!!!!

Emilie

Hi... um, for my 4-H project, I ordered 6 Mille Fluer D'Uccle chicks from the McMurray hatchery, and one "free rare exotic chick" came with the order. (you know what 4-H is, don't you?) At first, we thought it was just another of the Mille Fleur chicks, but we noticed that it was a bit bigger, and it was black and white. So once they grew a little, we considered that it was the rare exotic chick.

But now, my chicks are around 7-8 weeks old, and my rare exotic chick looks very similar to yours. (That black one) Are you sure you know what kind of cochin it is? I think that its a Black Cochin Bantam or something. Do you know?

Back
Top Bottom