Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Oh I love your girl
love.gif
Thanks, she is gorgeous. He's nice too, just getting his big boy feathers in and when he does, look out!

I know willow legs are a bad thing but can I breed a hen with willow legs and then just pull out all chicks with it? I don't have a huge choice she is my only white pullet.
Here is what I found when I had a similar question. Thanks to "Tim" on another thread for posting.

"The gene that causes birds with yellow skin to have willow legs is sex linked. The name of the gene is dermal melanin and the gene is recessive. This allele adds black pigments to the layer of tissue under the top layer of the skin. The yellow in the top layer and the black pigment in the lower layer produce the willow color. The incompletely dominant allele to dermal melanin is dermal melanin inhibitor. Males need two of the dermal melanin alleles to have willow legs and females only can have one dermal melanin allele and have willow legs. There are other genes that can effect the dermal melanin allele and cause the legs to be a brighter willow-yellow color or a darker green color.

Birds that carry the wheaten gene can have the brighter willow-yellow leg color. There are other genes that can effect the leg color also like mottling and the barring gene- they inhibit the action of the dermal melanin gene.

Males can carry a dermal melanin inhibitor allele and a dermal melanin allele and have yellow legs. The male will give a dermal melanin inhibitor allele or a dermal melanin allele to his daughters. He can not give both alleles to a daughter- he can only one give one of the alleles to a daughter. He will father females that have willow legs and females that will have yellow legs. The mother does not effect the willow color in the daughters if she has yellow skin only the father effects the willow color."

This one is a bit more basic as a summary. Made great sense to me and I keep it on hand in my note book.

"Yellow legged male crossed to a willow legged female should only produce yellow legs unless the male carries willow/slate blue leg color....females can not carry the blue/willow if they have yellow legs...only the yellow legged males can carry the darker color. If the reverse was done....willow legged male crossed to a yellow legged female....can produce willow legged females and yellow legged males."

I hope this helps.

I know willow legs are a bad thing but can I breed a hen with willow legs and then just pull out all chicks with it? I don't have a huge choice she is my only white pullet.
It is sex-linked. ALL of her sons will carry the gene. Cull them.

IF the male you breed her to is free of the gene, her daughters will also be free of the gene and have proper colored legs. Those will be the ones you should keep.

Hello all! I'm just getting started with bbs lf cochins and started from week old chicks. The breeder they came from said one was a splash and at a week old was yellow with large blue patches/sreaks through the baby fuzz. It has since feathered out to be solid white. I mean not a speck of blue anywhere! Is this a phase they go through? Will the blue color come back out with another molt? It is a big beautiful chick (about 14 weeks) but I'm not that into white. How long should I wait to see if any blue comes back? Thanks in advance!

In some cases a splash won't have any blue show up, I have a pair of splash cochins who have very little speckles that are so lite they are barely visible. But they still produce blue chicks.

Anyone on here going to the show in Knoxville that could transport a pair back to arkansas or oklahoma for me, I could even pick them up at shawnee the following weekend. please let me know if you can help.

Back
Top Bottom