Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
:)Thank you Blue, as I look closer I clearly see what you mean. Would that change as he is 7 mos old or is he likely to stay flat feathered. He is enormous I can't believe how big he is. Im almost scared of him, he looks as big as a turkey!

Quote:
Well, if four hours is too long for you to wait, breeding chickens might not be your game
smile.png
Three weeks ago this thread was all but dead for about 1 month straight...

They will need some work, but they are definitely not hatchery stock. Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but if you want to see some whites that are very, very good, I suggest you look at Tom Roebuck's website: Golden Feather Farm. Your eyes will read the 1000 words of the pics there as they compare them to your birds. Show results are nice to have, but they depend 100% on the competition and in many small shows, there are simply very few LF shown. I've been to some where only 40-50 of 500 or 1000 birds were LF, so best trio might mean only trio or at least best of only a couple. Best hen likely means that she beat your other birds for BV. Not trying to down on what you were told, or on what you have, I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

As mentioned above, Your hens seems to be better than the male. He is not bad, but seems to lack cushion, and I suspect this is because he has a narrow rear end. Hard to tell without handling him. The female mentioned above is also the one that catches my eye. Her station and type are pretty good. The third female is also okay, but you will notice she has almost no rise to her cushion to all. This is a good start for you and will help you get a feel for mating and breeding if you haven't worked with Cochins before. As you breed this trio, you will have to work on size and good cochin type to get where you want to go. Show them around a little, too. As you can tell, you can have some success showing even without the best of the best.

Again, my best advice is for you to look at as many pics that you can find of excellent Cochins. It will be time well spent.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Well, if four hours is too long for you to wait, breeding chickens might not be your game
smile.png
Three weeks ago this thread was all but dead for about 1 month straight...

They will need some work, but they are definitely not hatchery stock. Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but if you want to see some whites that are very, very good, I suggest you look at Tom Roebuck's website: Golden Feather Farm. Your eyes will read the 1000 words of the pics there as they compare them to your birds. Show results are nice to have, but they depend 100% on the competition and in many small shows, there are simply very few LF shown. I've been to some where only 40-50 of 500 or 1000 birds were LF, so best trio might mean only trio or at least best of only a couple. Best hen likely means that she beat your other birds for BV. Not trying to down on what you were told, or on what you have, I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

As mentioned above, Your hens seems to be better than the male. He is not bad, but seems to lack cushion, and I suspect this is because he has a narrow rear end. Hard to tell without handling him. The female mentioned above is also the one that catches my eye. Her station and type are pretty good. The third female is also okay, but you will notice she has almost no rise to her cushion to all. This is a good start for you and will help you get a feel for mating and breeding if you haven't worked with Cochins before. As you breed this trio, you will have to work on size and good cochin type to get where you want to go. Show them around a little, too. As you can tell, you can have some success showing even without the best of the best.

Again, my best advice is for you to look at as many pics that you can find of excellent Cochins. It will be time well spent.

Good Luck!

Chickslick,
This is a decent Black hen. Think big, round and fluffy. I agree that you should check out Tom's Whites.
51721_four_corner_poultry_show_11-5-2011_061.jpg

smile.png

Wow, thanks so much guys! I did not realize it might take some time to get input. I sure appreciate it. I totally agree with everything the two of you said. Im glad they are not hatchery birds, I dont show and dont plan to, I am more interested in breeding. I have the male and 3 females. Yes, I agree x100 that winning at the Othello Fair is nothing, its a small wheat town in Eastern Washington of about 1,500 peeps, LOL. I know it was just used as a selling blurb. I need a better rooster and should only consider the one hen, correct?

Can you give me a little info on their temperment? Ive read they are pretty laid back, are excellent brooders and mothers--has this been your experienceThanks alot everyone!

D.gif

Quote:
My Blacks couldn't be more mellow. My 5 y/o totes them around. My Golden-laced Cochin boys are a bit more tempermental. Cochins in general are known for their broodiness, often used to hatch other breeds eggs.

Quote:
You have to start somewhere, so I don't think your hens are too bad in general. A good rooster would help a lot. If you can find one, great. If not, start with what you have, hatch more from the best birds and cull hard. Sometimes you can't find what you want/need, so you have to go with what you have. My experience with chickens is that you don't wait for the opportune time to get done what you would like to do. You do it as soon as possible and you improve at every step. Even if its a baby step, move forward. If you wait and don't get chicks out before your lone male is replaced, you might lose him to a coon or a sickness and then you've got nothing at all. Your best hen might die. Stuff happens. You just keep working with what you have and improving it whenever you can or it makes sense to do so. "You have to make hay when the sun is shining!!"

Last edited:
My beloved LF thread has been dormant for a while
hit.gif
how are everyones fluffy butts doing these days? I was also wondering if anyones ordered LF Barred Cochins from Ideal hatchery, and what you thought of them? I REALLY want some Barred Cochins.....like BAD!

This is my best Cockerel from this year.
Click pic for Larger Version
, ,
At least he is the best for now. I have 3. They are 6 months old. To raise these standard Cochins you have to have ALOT of patience waiting for them to fill out.

Matt

Quote:
First, I'll say it's tough to evaluate from photos. That said. The females are better than the male. From the photo, it looks like the male may have off colored shanks. Even from the distance in the photo (bottom photo of him by himself) you should be able to see yellow shanks/feet and beak. He's very pinched in the tail and his balance is off. Cochins are supposed to have a more forward tilt. Good rule of thumb is that the eye should be level with the top of the cushion. Can't tell too much about their size so can't comment on that. Overall they are not too bad. The massiveness of a Cochin is made up by its profuse feathering. They are a fairly large framed bird, or should be, and they take a very long time to develop. My females don't look their best until they are 2 years old. I took the below photos in October when I was getting ready for a show.

Hen
15970_2011hen.jpg

Pullet (actually a daughter from the hen above)
15970_2011pullet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom