Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Well, back around pg 40 I posted my 2 columbian lf project birds, well, turns out the 'pullet' is a roo too, but here are some updated pics and I'm ready for feedback........ here is the one we thought was a girl... all helpful comments he is about 8 months old now,

81666_younger_roo.jpg

81666_dscf3961.jpg

81666_dscf3962.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

For All Cochin Lovers!! The new Cochins International website is now up and running! (BYC isn't the only one that can launch a new site today!!)
Of course we encourage all interested to join CI, but the website is for EVERYONE - members and non-members alike.

Check it out: www.cochinsint.com

What exactly do you think about your bird? Is this just one bird from different poses? The last pic seems a little bigger than the others, but looking at the piece of plastic on the ground, its probably just camera angle.

For a columbian, I would say you are on the right track. Type looks pretty good and color is acceptable. I definitely like the first pic the best. I like his leg fluff--nice and full.

He could use some more width and his color needs to be more defined. The brassiness is not good but might be from sun or diet.

If you aren't familiar with the color, look at some good pics of Columbian Wyandotte Bantams or LF Light Brahmas. My guess is that you already know what you're dealing with in some respect. It's a tough color. I bred Wyan Bantams in it for a couple years.

Hi Rudy,

The pics are all of the same boy, I got down on the ground for the first shot so it is straight on - I was standing for the other 2 so the angle is different.

I would like to see more fluff in the tail, less muddiness and as you say a bit more width, but for our first birds, I think we are on the right track. I am looking for some NICE full SL, buff and white hens to breed them to, maybe 2 of each one for each roo so we can make notes on differences that each roo throws. He is about 8 months old now and just starting to get a bit more Asiatic head, we actually noticed it today. His dad had a REAL Asiatic head, I hope he takes that from him!

I will be penning them soon and as this cold weather breaks they'll be getting less corn so we will see about the brassiness. They didn't seem that yellow in the fall so that is something we will keep an eye on. I have always loved this pattern but am obviously new to establishing any pattern and knowing they are a slow maturing bird I am open to any suggestions/comments.

This was in the works for several years and I was just blessed to have it handed over to me, one generation before the pattern actually appeared.

Hello I'm new to this group just wanted to say hi. I'm in central lower Michigan and have black and blue LF cochins. I hope to meet people in the area to talk shop with and get some new birds. I love my cochins and hope to learn from all of you and meet some new people.

Hello Cooper!

I have a couple of questions for the group. Two of my hens are leaking fluff. Is this still molting? I've not had any with such big "pants" that the fluff leaked, just the feathers.

#2; I have two hens that are a brilliant fire red color when the sun hits them. I have a second hen courtesy of a friend that is the same type - partridge cochin - but gold instead of red. What causes the difference in colors? Is it the base used? Iridescence on the feathers? The gold hen is true to photo, have to catch the others in the sun to get the red. Do you think Gold is a cross, or just a hatchery bird? I know her type isn't near what the others is.

Red Hen

Leaky Fluff and Gold vs. Red

Type difference

Gold Hen

Red Hen

I think the lighter color is because the Mahogany gene is not there. It causes a darker red. This is a very common difference in hatchery stock color vs purebred color. A double dose of the gene gives the darkest, most desirable color.

Sorry for the delay.

Rudy

I am getting a rooster next week to breed with my hen. Any tips on how to help them be as fertile as can be? I have heard their feathers can get in the way... Any tips from the pros on how I should go about this?

Thanks!

Is anyone still following this thread?

I posted that I am looking for Cochin hatching eggs. I received an email from a lady near me, saying her cochins only lay 4-5 in 12 months from 2 hens. Is this normal Cohin for standard Cochins?

My LF cochins lay several eggs a week...4-5 eggs in 12 months from 2 hens is strange. Maybe her girls are old, or not getting enough protien?? Cochins are pretty docile birds...maybe they aren't fighting for the food. My girls have continued to lay througout the winter.

Is anyone still following this thread?

I posted that I am looking for Cochin hatching eggs. I received an email from a lady near me, saying her cochins only lay 4-5 in 12 months from 2 hens. Is this normal Cohin for standard Cochins?

Back
Top Bottom