Large Girl Can Barely Walk!

tamiep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Oswego, IL 60543, USA
[/IMG]
We got Mae West (white chickn) from Rural King. They had mixed several different chicks together and she looked like a california white, so that is what the employee said she probably was. Mae grew very huge quickly and was so homely. Her legs are thick and different widths. She cannot keep up with the others and sits in crap so her under side is filthy. Poor thing waddles when she walks and running is pretty funny to watch. She seems happy. Could she be a very lucky meat chicken that I inadvertantly saved?

Last edited:
She's a Cornish Cross. And if she hasn't been on a regulated feeding schedule since 6 weeks of age to control her growth rate, there isn't much hope for her. Even under the best of circumstances, they rarely live longer than a year. It's just not in their genetics. It is much kinder to humanely dispatch her than it is to allow her to continue living. These birds can suffer terribly due to their large size.

I am going to let her live until she shows signs if suffering. Right now she is a happy girl. I just gave her a bath and though she did not like it, i think she appreciates it.

She's a Cornish Cross. And if she hasn't been on a regulated feeding schedule since 6 weeks of age to control her growth rate, there isn't much hope for her. Even under the best of circumstances, they rarely live longer than a year. It's just not in their genetics. It is much kinder to humanely dispatch her than it is to allow her to continue living. These birds can suffer terribly due to their large size.
I'm curious, would regulating the amount of feed help now?

By sure to really keep her feed intake limited. And try to get her moving more. That's about all you can do at this point. They can get so big that their legs can't hold them any longer. The ligaments twist or the bones just buckle under the heft. They are also prone to heart attacks, seizures, and fluid build up in the chest. Better to cut her life short before she starts to suffer. I know it's sad. And it's horrible that they sold you a meat bird. But it's reality.

I'm curious, would regulating the amount of feed help now?
Cornish Cross don't self regulate like other chickens. They will eat till all the feed is gone. They will spend their entire existence parked next to the feeder if allowed to. This constant eating, combined with their rapid growth rate spells disaster for their skeletal structures. By limiting how much they eat, you are limiting how fast they grow. This allows their bones to keep pace with their bulk. It enables their bones to be able to support their weight better, and helps to keep them more mobile.

Back
Top Bottom