1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large mass on my ovary

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by horsejody, Sep 23, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I was recently having pain on my left side when it was "that time of the month." I went to the doctor about it. The doctor did an ultrasound and discovered that the discomfort was caused by a minor little bit of endometriosis (sp?). He said that it was minor, but he was glad to have done the ultrasound because on the right side there was a large mass on my ovary. It's probably something nonmalignant, but we aren't taking any chances. I'm going to have surgery in about 2 weeks. It's strange how things work out. I never thought that I would have been thankful for endometriosis, but I would have never learned about what could potentially become a silent killer without it. Thank you, God!

2. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Are they sure it is not just a cyst?

If it is not, thankfully you found this now.

I hope all ends well!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good luck and good fortune with the surgery. [​IMG] I imagine you are a bit nervous right now about it. It will be fine. Just keep repeating that mantra! [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:It may be, but the doctor didn't like the size and shape and something about "not fluid" (I assume that means it might be a bit solid). He did say that could still be a cyst, but, even if it was, it too big to go away on its own. I say, "take it all, and good riddance!" I'm 47 years old, and my kids are grown so it's just spare parts anyway.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Thanks.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Sure hope the surgery takes your pain away and it ends up not being something serious. [​IMG] and [​IMG]

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm really surprised they didn't do more than an ultrasound to re-examine the mass. Cysts can look solid on an ultrasound but still not require surgery (I have persistent abnormal ovarian cysts).

Good luck with the surgery! Being in pain is the pits!

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Are they going to completely unzip you or do it laproscopically. (sp?)

9. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I'm with you Jody ~ get it all out while they are in there.

[​IMG] for a successful surgery and all is well!

10. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Jody, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by