Large, Open-Air Coop in Central NC

Pics
I love reading about coop builds! I have learned a lot of neat stuff from y'all! Now I just need hubby to teach me how to use all the tools he's amassed over the years so I can build some stuff myself.

When I was little, my dad would build stuff in his workshop with my brother. I never felt invited, so I got the idea in my head that that wasn't anything I could do. I'm working on getting over that.

So, yeah... Pictures please! :)

Unimpressive as a dog pen (or broiler pen), but as far more than $10 worth of materials ...

0410211723.jpg

0410211723_HDR.jpg

5 panels, approximately 3x5.

Work in progress:

0412211118.jpg

0412211121_HDR.jpg

I now understand the roof. The clerestory opening will face uphill -- to the left in the first photo and the right in the second photo.

0412211119_HDR.jpg

2 feet of roof overhang on the eastish side.

0412211119a_HDR.jpg

And 4 feet on the westish side both for a little extra shade and to allow some storage space on the uphill end.

More to come by the end of the day!

DH is teasing me about taking so many pictures but I'm really happy with the way it's coming together.

0412211501.jpg

0412211501_HDR.jpg

I have to get my floor plan laid out.

He's only going to let me have 2 of the three doors we have stored so I have to figure out how best to use them so that I can access different parts of the coop when it's divided up.

How about a link? (Lowes) Or Home Depot. Its called "5V" for the profile. I like the broad flat surfaces of it for my screw penetrations. If you look at a section "on edge", you can count five "V"s - a double, a flat section, a single, a flat section, a double.

Its also called "U over V" assembly, because there is just a little more space between the double V on one side of the panel, compared to the other. The wider is the "U", and the panels get overlaid so that goes on top of the narrower one - again, flat surface for your screw, while the double Vs help ensure water can't be blown sideways between them.

Back
Top Bottom