Large, Open-Air Coop in Central NC

Yeah, you can. Our auto door cost $300 and has a 3 year warranty. Assuming it only lasts as long as its warranty, that's 30 cents/day to sleep in or stay out late. Cheap as... :D

That's a pretty big lump sum for some people -- me included.

A couple week's groceries worth of investment for my household.

Yeah, you can. Our auto door cost $300 and has a 3 year warranty. Assuming it only lasts as long as its warranty, that's 30 cents/day to sleep in or stay out late. Cheap as... :D
Our coop is plastic; an automatic door is not an option. Also, because our coop sits entirely inside a predator proof run, I won't have to close the coop door at night in the summer -- they'll go in at dark and come out when it's light -- and be protected the entire time.

I thought I'd note that, with the small adjustments made in this thread, Hurricane Ian barely dampened the wires and, thanks to very dry ground after a month with almost no rain, my deep litter is still bone dry -- too dry, in fact, to compost well.

Super-generous roof overhangs make a tremendous difference.

I thought I'd note that, with the small adjustments made in this thread, Hurricane Ian barely dampened the wires and, thanks to very dry ground after a month with almost no rain, my deep litter is still bone dry -- too dry, in fact, to compost well.

Super-generous roof overhangs make a tremendous difference.

I constantly have the overhangs envy :)

Still regret the almost nonexistent overhangs on my goat shed. One foot minimum is my new rule of thumb. Glad to hear Ian left you unscathed @3KillerBs

Part of the reason we left the "back" overhang so big was the reluctance to trim the size of the metal roofing sheets. DH was afraid that even with the electric shears we'd have a hard time making a neat cut.

Back
Top Bottom