Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
@Pyxis , I saw that you seemed to know about duck genetics. Do any of these muscovy (last 2 pictures have blue Swedish in it too) look like they might be chocolate? The hatchery I ordered them from said that their muscovy have varying amounts of black and white amd made mo mention of any other colors, but 3 or 4 of these little dudes look really brown.
20230601_090005.jpg
20230601_090008.jpg
20230601_090211.jpg
20230602_145152.jpg

@Pyxis , I saw that you seemed to know about duck genetics. Do any of these muscovy (last 2 pictures have blue Swedish in it too) look like they might be chocolate? The hatchery I ordered them from said that their muscovy have varying amounts of black and white amd made mo mention of any other colors, but 3 or 4 of these little dudes look really brown.
View attachment 3527264View attachment 3527265View attachment 3527267View attachment 3527268

Muscovies are actually a totally different set of genetics to mallard derived ducks so I'm not as good on their genetics - BUT chocolate is the same. I do think you have two or three chocolate ones in there.

Muscovies are actually a totally different set of genetics to mallard derived ducks so I'm not as good on their genetics -
Really? Wow, i always thought that the basic colors like white, black, blue and chocolate were the same
BUT chocolate is the same. I do think you have two or three chocolate ones in there.
Okay, cool! I absolutely wouldn't mind some chocolates, I just was a bit surprised since they don't have any signs that chocolate is a possible option in their description for ordering

Really? Wow, i always thought that the basic colors like white, black, blue and chocolate were the same

Nope, even white is different! So in mallard ducks you have pied as its own gene, and a solid white duck is a separate recessive gene, right? In muscovies it's all one incompletely dominant gene. One copy makes a bird pied, and two makes a bird white.

But then there is ALSO a recessive gene called piebald, which the bird needs two copies of to express, which also gives a pied appearance but it's a specific pattern and looks different from pied caused by white.

Blue is sort of the same, but there's also self blue, aka lavender, which like in chickens is recessive.

There are pattern genes like barring, rippled, and white head, and other dilution genes like sepia.

Nope, even white is different! So in mallard ducks you have pied as its own gene, and a solid white duck is a separate recessive gene, right? In muscovies it's all one incompletely dominant gene. One copy makes a bird pied, and two makes a bird white.

But then there is ALSO a recessive gene called piebald, which the bird needs two copies of to express, which also gives a pied appearance but it's a specific pattern and looks different from pied caused by white.

Blue is sort of the same, but there's also self blue, aka lavender, which like in chickens is recessive.

There are pattern genes like barring, rippled, and white head, and other dilution genes like sepia.
Wow! I knew There were some patterns that were different than Mallard derived ones, but I just figured muscovies had more like a premium package while the Mallard ones were more of a basic package in terms of their Gen options, nit that they were actually different.

Does piebald make this color? It’s my favorite!
6CB499BC-07FE-4E26-8835-0F2CF4980771.jpeg

Wow! I knew There were some patterns that were different than Mallard derived ones, but I just figured muscovies had more like a premium package while the Mallard ones were more of a basic package in terms of their Gen options, nit that they were actually different.
I’ve always thought Mallard ones were actually more complex. They have three base colors, and dusky is complicated, also.

Does piebald make this color? It’s my favorite!View attachment 3528259

I’ve always thought Mallard ones were actually more complex. They have three base colors, and dusky is complicated, also.
I always forget they have like 30 colors😭 I always just think white, Mallard, BBS, chocolate, buff and whatever magpies are

I feel like a freaking idiot. I was candling and rushing and I accidentally put a giant crack and dentist into one of my viable eggs. I did my best to fix it up, and will have to just be careful now. Thankfully I'm pretty sure hatch date is non the 8th 9th, so hopefully it doesn't hatch too early or have any damage done. Membrane was intact from what I could tell thankfully

Back
Top Bottom