Lash Egg- Oviduct Infection

I would say that it is not too late to go for hormone implants if she is still reasonably active and eating and drinking. You might need to give the vet a heads up on what treatment you are looking for rather than show up and have to make a second appointment. I believe Superlorin is the brand name and it is inserted in the back of the neck. If the vet does not normally treat chickens they may want to do a little research prior to your appointment, but the procedure should be the same as for a cat or dog being given a hormone implant.

I did look up that one, and I’m gonna call the vet about it. Thank you for the advice, that’s a good idea to give them a heads up. I wonder if they’ll think I’m crazy, but hey, it’s as much a pet as a cat or dog.

I fear it may be too late, as we have been out of town and the pet sitter said she has been laying in the nest box all day for 2 days now. I wonder if we are losing her. Won’t be back until 2 days from now. I’m hoping she’ll make it, but I’m worried she’s egg bound now with the mass, and trying to pass it.

Again, thank you so much for providing me with all of your advice and support. :) I appreciate it.

I'm so sorry she has taken a down turn. Isn't it typical that these things always come to head at the least convenient time to deal with them. :fl she makes it till you get back and can help her.

So Baby seemed ok when we got home. I called the vet while out of town, and he said they can do the implants, but he thought we should try another course of antibiotics first. She’s now on 2cc of Bactrim for 14 days.

We have seen her in the nest box several times since we got home, and there have actually been some “mystery” eggs that don’t quite look like the other hens’ in the box. I wonder if it’s possible she could be back to laying? I really doubt it, but it would be good if that were the case, right? Do they ever go back to laying after an infection like this?

I’ll keep you updated.

What does her abdomen feel like? If you cup tour hand between her legs, can you feel any swelling or tightness there or below her vent? If you are unsure, go the same check with other hens on the roost at night one after he other. If there is a problem, it should be reasonably obvious.
Is she soiling herself? A poopy butt often indicates abdominal swelling.
Can you post a photo of her from behind? Does she walk with a slightly wide stance?

I have never tried it but it is suggested that if you put a drop of food colouring on the top lip of her vent at night, her egg will be stained when/if she lays it, or you can crate her for 24hrs but he chances are that would stress her and if her lifespan is going to be limited, that seems a sad thing to do.

I assume you are withdrawing eggs from human consumption with her being on antibiotics if you think she might be laying.

I have a RIR that suffered a horrible prolapse in the spring and, long story short, she started laying again, erratically at first, and still not regular, but we consider it a miracle that she (a) survived (b) lays at all given the state her rear end was in. And no further prolapse! So if she's happy to carry on, if I were you I'd let her carry on as is, and yes, I believe she could be back to laying.

The chances are that she isn't laying though. At this time of year, as we come to the end of their laying cycle, the "ink cartridges" on their egg production line start to run low and you tend to get paler eggs. I got one the other day from a pen where they all have very distinctive coloured eggs (either green or dark brown or two tone mid brown) and I was surprized to find a cream coloured egg. The day before they had been normal. I've not had another one yet but I'm pretty sure they are winding down to moult.

@Perris

Unfortunately a prolapse is very different to an infection of the oviduct. There is usually a pretty good prognosis with prolapse if it is caught and treated. Salpingitis much less so, but will be very happy if this girl bucks the trend. :fl

Hi, sorry I’ve been out for a bit. Update on Baby:

She’s on her course of Bactrim still. I’m pretty sure she’s not laying, actually, haven’t seen any evidence. I may try the dye thing, though. Any eggs in question we won’t eat, but fortunately most of the hens have unique eggs.
I will say her comb looks washed out to me, it’s not bright red. I don’t know if that’s a good indicator, though.

Her abdomen is definitely still swollen. She does have a poopy butt, although she has always had that, and we have to trim and bathe her occasionally. I can post a photo of her if she’ll hold still.

I’m still surprised she’s hanging on. If no improvement after these antibiotics, I may get the implant, though they said it’d be $120. For now, she’s just chickening along as usual.

Back
Top Bottom