Lash Egg- Oviduct Infection

Sorry it’s been a minute!
About 4 months have passed since Baby laid the “lash egg” monstrosity. After 2 rounds of antibiotics, she’s been hanging on. Now, we’re pretty sure she started laying in the last few weeks. I think the eggs are hers. I’m pretty surprised, I honestly thought we’d have lost her by now. I certainly never expected her to lay again. Also, her abdomen doesn’t feel so swollen, like maybe the ascites is gone.

But I’m happy to report, she seems to be fine! For the time being, she seems her normal self. I’m hopeful that maybe since she’s been laying, there is no more internal laying going on. Not sure, but she seems good.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
I'm pleased to hear she is still muddling along. As I said before, they can survive for months or even a year with a condition like this. What does her comb look like? That will tell you if she is still ovulating. Usually, at this time of year, girls of her age knock off laying to moult and that gives their bodies time to recover a little from the internal laying. I would be very happily surprised if she has resumed laying, but I still think it is pretty unlikely. If her comb is bright red and plump again though she may be. If it is paler and dry, probably not. Has she started to moult yet?

This is Sk8inChick(en) 's mom, with an update on our chicken, "Baby" who had the oviduct infection. We are now not so sure she was the one laying the eggs, but she had started hanging out in the nest box, the main reason we thought she was laying.

She is acting totally normal, except no eggs. Her comb is red and plump, and abdomen feels a little bit squishy, but not like before. No other signs of sickness. She finished her moult in early fall.

"Baby" is the red one in the middle of the 3 large birds. She's kinda of a miracle, we had a dozen eggs in the fridge for a few weeks, that came from a friend with a rooster in their flock. The blond bantam, "Goldie," on the right, was broody, so we put a couple of the eggs under her, and VOILA! "Baby" hatched! She's been our best layer.
DSCN0878.JPG

This is Sk8inChick(en) 's mom, with an update on our chicken, "Baby" who had the oviduct infection. We are now not so sure she was the one laying the eggs, but she had started hanging out in the nest box, the main reason we thought she was laying.

She is acting totally normal, except no eggs. Her comb is red and plump, and abdomen feels a little bit squishy, but not like before. No other signs of sickness. She finished her moult in early fall.

"Baby" is the red one in the middle of the 3 large birds. She's kinda of a miracle, we had a dozen eggs in the fridge for a few weeks, that came from a friend with a rooster in their flock. The blond bantam, "Goldie," on the right, was broody, so we put a couple of the eggs under her, and VOILA! "Baby" hatched! She's been our best layer. View attachment 1668416
May I ask how Baby is doing?? ❤️

Back
Top Bottom