Last minute hatch Along 4/11/13. Anyone want to join me?

Missymac

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NY
I had such terrible luck last year hatching eggs I almost wasn't going to even attempt this year. Yesterday I decided to give it one more shot. Incubator is all set up, temp is holding fast and I am going to be placing some eggs in when I get home. Not a lot, Just about a 1/2 dozen.

My rooster is a Barred Rock/EE cross.

My hens that I came collecting from:
EEs, a Tetra Tint, Red Sex links

I just set up my homemade incubator yesterday, too. I will be picking up a dz eggs tomorrow. This is my first time, and I hope at least a few eggs will hatch.

errrrrr
dang it my egg turner just quit working on me
he.gif

Oh yes :) last batch I was too. Only this time since my bator is packed full I decided to try a egg turner. So much for that idea....lol

Hi,
I'm putting some BLRW eggs in the incubator tomorrow. Provided it all works when I get it out and set it up tonight, and provided the eggs come as promised. My incubator has a turning ring. Anyway, that reminds me of something I've always wondered. I suppose I should start a new thread, but since you all are talking about hand turning anyway... I get hand turning, and I get ring turning. It's pretty much what a broody hen does to her clutch of eggs. What I've never understood is how those incubators that just tilt the eggs a little work. It seems very unlike "natural" hen turning, and only moves the eggs in one dimension. They don't rotate, they just tilt. Which seems like it wouldn't do the job. Does anyone know if ring or hand turning yields higher hatch rates than "tilt-a-bators?"
Good hatching luck!

I just set 32 eggs today! I've been waiting for the weather to warm up so I don't have to keep the chicks inside the house for too long. This is the most that I have hatched at one time, so I'm pretty excited to see what my hatch rate will be this time. I usually do pretty well :)

I have a Black Copper Marans rooster and a variety of hens: EE's, OE's, Tetra Tints, and Black Copper Marans.

I have hand turned in the past, but have a tilting turner thing now. I've only used it on one previous hatch and the hatch rate was good, so I'm not sure if I like the turner yet or not. I do like turning the eggs by hand, but I also like how accurate the temperature stays without me getting in there a few times a day!

Good luck to everyone!
jumpy.gif

I ended up putting in 2 green eggs and 1 blue egg (EEs), two medium brown eggs and one light brown egg. I am really hoping for something his time! I cross my fingers for all of you!

I am hatching for the first time. I put about 20 eggs in yesterday. Before going to bed, I watched the temp for a while and thought it stayed constant. But I checked it at 3am, and it went up to 104 degrees. I think it stayed at that temp for 1 and 1/2 hours. I quickly got the temp down to 100 degrees and now it stays at 99 for the last 5 hours. Has this happened to anyone? Are my eggs cooked now? Do you think any of them would survive?

Back
Top Bottom