Last Month Was Tough!

I have read before that a ruptured appendix is a very bad thing. Was he trying to tough it out with the pain so delayed going to seek help?
No, his body had “walled off the abscess” (surgeon’s words) to protect itself and he didn’t exhibit typical symptoms. Some mild lower right-sided discomfort that he thought was maybe a pulled muscle, low grade temp and no appetite, but no severe pain or vomiting. The day we think it ruptured, I did try to get him into the ER. I made the mistake of calling in first, and the nurse I spoke with assured me that it “couldn’t possibly be his appendix because he’d be in excruciating pain if it was”. She then suggested he take some ibuprofen and apply a heating pad. He did and felt better (we figure that’s when it ruptured). Every day for that week I’d ask him how he felt. He’d just say, “I don’t know, maybe a little better.” Then he got sick enough that he decided to go in.

Anyway, we thankfully live in an age where antibiotics are available are available or I wouldn’t have him now.

No, his body had “walled off the abscess” (surgeon’s words) to protect itself and he didn’t exhibit typical symptoms. Some mild lower right-sided discomfort that he thought was maybe a pulled muscle, low grade temp and no appetite, but no severe pain or vomiting. The day we think it ruptured, I did try to get him into the ER. I made the mistake of calling in first, and the nurse I spoke with assured me that it “couldn’t possibly be his appendix because he’d be in excruciating pain if it was”. She then suggested he take some ibuprofen and apply a heating pad. He did and felt better (we figure that’s when it ruptured). Every day for that week I’d ask him how he felt. He’d just say, “I don’t know, maybe a little better.” Then he got sick enough that he decided to go in.

Anyway, we thankfully live in an age where antibiotics are available are available or I wouldn’t have him now.
That was bad advice from the nurse! I hope someone made her aware of the error.

The scary thing is resistant bacteria now. I hope research for new ones will happen soon. It is a funding issuer apparently. There is not much money in anti biotics so big pharma does not want to invest in it

That was bad advice from the nurse! I hope someone made her aware of the error.

The scary thing is resistant bacteria now. I hope research for new ones will happen soon. It is a funding issuer apparently. There is not much money in anti biotics so big pharma does not want to invest in it
After I had cooled down I spoke with the director of nurses (small town, everyone knows everyone). Granted, it was a few months later, but I wanted to be polite and respectful. Took me that long to get there. I knew she couldn’t fix it, but I wanted her to make her nurses aware that not everyone presents the same.

Back
Top Bottom