Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

I spent yesterday putting together frames~ I glued the joints & also nailed them. There are Utube video's if you need help.

I got the first coat of paint on my bottom board & hive body yesterday. I can't wait for April to get here.

For those of you who don't use chemicals to treat your hives, what do you use to keep pests and diseases away?

To control the mites I went with resistant varieties of bees, pure blooded Russians from Revis Russians out of NC.

I am also going to try two each, 3 pound packages of Minnesota Hygienics from Orr Bee Supply this April.

Some people say that the Russians are meaner and would not have them, but I don't find them any worse than the Italians that we had on the farm, 40 something years ago.

Last edited:
We also have some Russian bees and have had very few mites. My Russians are a bit more aggressive than my Italians, but not enough to discourage me from having them. I just make sure to use smoke and a veil when working with them.

To control the mites I went with resistant varieties of bees, pure blooded Russians from Revis Russians out of NC.

I am also going to try two each, 3 pound packages of Minnesota Hygienics from Orr Bee Supply this April.

Some people say that the Russians are meaner and would not have them, but I don't find them any worse than the Italians that we had on the farm, 40 something years ago.

How many did you start with? Did you have someone to mentor you or just jump right in? What area do you live in? Do you harvest honey, how much do you get from 30 hives?

Got my hive covered in primer, have done some reading and mailed in our applications to the Chester County Beekeepers Association. I feel like I'm on my way! I have not ordered our bees yet, my son wants the Russians, but I feel like I should attend the beekeeper's meeting on Feb 7th before making any decisions. I feel like I'm already behind the 8 ball around here and it's not even spring yet!

Congrats on getting the primer done!

Just in case it is my understanding that you have to order package's early before they run out. Not sure where you plan to get your bee's.

Back
Top Bottom