Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

I don't see why you couldn't used recycled material.

My father in law had some old home made supers that were over 50 years old and they used what ever they had on hand at the time.

As long as there is only wood on the inside, next to the bees, what ever you want to work with and as long as bee space is maintained between the frames and foundation, it shouldn't matter.

I've built supers out of almost everything, and nucs from corrugated plastic (still a favorite of mine). Your idea will work. Then again with bees, almost everything does. Oh, and I feed drone brood to my chickens. :)

I recommend two hives as well, but for a different reason - you can put them on different inspection schedules and basically be able to have a learning visit every four days or so. The first year the thing you are actually producing is a beekeeper - any honey and bees are just a bonus. Also, while it won't make much sense, relax - bees have a lot of experience at being bees and generally know what to do even when you don't.

thank You xc! I need to hear that, and will count on the bees this year.

I am currently sitting outside the Amish woodworkers picking up more supers!! DH is inside paying the tab, I love that man! And the cutest little girls are playing out front in their little black bonnets and black stockings and capes, very quaint.

Medium or deep.... So many choices.

Mediums, no doubt about it, mediums. Just remind yourself of a simple fact: a full deep is easily 90 lbs, and often a lot more. Three mediums offers the same brood nest space and allows you 30% compression during a cutdown to produce comb honey. Your vertabrae will thank you.

Choose life.
Choose mediums.

The wisdom of keeping bees? It teaches so much. Patience. Patience. Patience. How to handle failure gracefully. Oh, and did I mention there's honey? If she's got a sense of wonder it won't take much, and if she doesn't than not much will. Never spin it as money - any man who can make a thousand dollars keeping bees would make five thousand doing anything else.

But you may love it anyway.

The wisdom of keeping bees? It teaches so much. Patience. Patience. Patience. How to handle failure gracefully. Oh, and did I mention there's honey? If she's got a sense of wonder it won't take much, and if she doesn't than not much will. Never spin it as money - any man who can make a thousand dollars keeping bees would make five thousand doing anything else.

But you may love it anyway.

Yes I found a dead hive yesterday as I started feeding sugar 2 to 1 sugar water for the season.

Lost my queen.

Broke my heart.

The other 3 are coming on like gang busters.

Back
Top Bottom