Late starter in incubator - do I turn it after lockdown?

as110

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Falkland BC
I just learned from the posts that once locked down, the incubator can't be opened until all of the eggs hatch. I have an egg in there that did not start until after day 8. I left it in at day 8 to give it a chance. When I candled on day 10, I thought I saw blood vessels so I left it in for another couple of days. On day 13 I saw the embrio moving. There was another one with it that did not start and left it until until day 13 but I took it out and it was not fertilised. So I think one will hatch 7-10 days later. Will it be ok if I don't turn that one? Or should I make another incubator? Or just open to turn it? Ahhh
Tonight is lockdown. We are getting another light just in case.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you put the egg in 7-8 days after the other ones that are in there? If this is what your saying I would still turn that egg. I've always opened the incubator during lockdown I've never had a problem. Just don't turn or touch the eggs that are on lockdown. And open it as quick as you can. Some others may not ever open the incubator during lockdown but personally I've never had a problem. I've done it when their hatching to take chicks out. The only thing I wouldn't do is leave it open for more than a minute or two.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you put the egg in 7-8 days after the other ones that are in there? If this is what your saying I would still turn that egg. I've always opened the incubator during lockdown I've never had a problem. Just don't turn or touch the eggs that are on lockdown. And open it as quick as you can. Some others may not ever open the incubator during lockdown but personally I've never had a problem. I've done it when their hatching to take chicks out. The only thing I wouldn't do is leave it open for more than a minute or two.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Ditto, but I would add, just make sure you keep the humidity up in the 70% range if you do open. And eggs don't NEED to be turned after two weeks so if it is 2 weeks or more, don't worry about it.

No they were all set on the same day at the same time. 18 eggs on March 9.
Out of 18, 2 of them looked duds on first candling on day 8. On the second candling one of them had blood vessels on day 10. On day 13 one of these 2 had moving embryo in it, the other did not show any sign of blood vessel formation and I removed it. Now there are 17 eggs all of them fertilized.
The question was about the one that did not have blood vessels in it until day 10. I was sure I didn't see blood until day 10 in that one so I am assuming it will be hatching late too. No?

That's odd. Hopefully someone more experienced will have more information on that.

That's a hard one. In my honest opinion, I'd be surprised if it completely developed and hatched being that delayed. Continuing to turn wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't hold out hope for it either.

That problem was solved last night. I candled one last time before lock down and that egg looked like it had not progressed. I took it out and it was dead. The embryo was unrecognizable. I also removed two more eggs and those were empty.

Just started day 20. It is very stressful to wait since I now have very little faith that any will hatch. We will have to see in a few days.

That problem was solved last night. I candled one last time before lock down and that egg looked like it had not progressed. I took it out and it was dead. The embryo was unrecognizable. I also removed two more eggs and those were empty.

Just started day 20. It is very stressful to wait since I now have very little faith that any will hatch. We will have to see in a few days.

I'm on day 20 today with 9 silkie eggs too. I think most of them have internally pipped, just waiting for some outside signs.

Back
Top Bottom