Lavender Araucana - Roo?

Sunnyducks

Chirping
May 1, 2016
Hello, finally managed to get some photos from every angle which I hope will enable someone to determine that this is a roo. He disappeared for three days just as I was asking for help here, and has turned up against all the odds, very tired and hungry, thank Goodness! The first pic shows him and his sister. He is much redder in the face and his feathers are thicker. I think he has a rooster ruff and pointier feathers. Their tails are quite different too, I'd be very grateful if anyone has the time to have a look - I'd really welcome the advice. They are 15 weeks old. Thank you in advance.

Nope, pullet approaching point of lay.

Not an Aracuana, though. Lightly feathered legs say mixed breed bird. Besides that, it doesn't meet breed criteria for that breed no matter where you live, US or UK or Oz.

@donrae

Thank you! I'm very glad you think she's a pullet though! I'm disappointed she's looking like a mixed breed though! Any thoughts on what she could be mixed with? This kind of makes me really upset! It's very hard for beginners like me.

Are you in the US?

Aracauna are one of the breeds that differ widely from country to country, so knowing where you are could help narrow things down.

Feathered legs are partially dominant, so one parent had them, but was likely themselves a mix, cause they are so light on your girl.

I can't tell, does she have a pea comb or just a tiny straight comb?

@donrae

Thank you - I'm in Australia, and very much a beginner in chicken breeds as you can tell. I'll try to take a photo of the comb - it's not quite one or the other as far as I can see, but that's my ignorance again, I'm sure. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom