Lavender-Based Leghorn Breeding & Improvement Discussion

These genetics are very rare/very common

• Total voters
Pics
The problem is if you ask 3 different breeders what a golden is they'd probably show you 3 different birds.
Myself I don't consider any of them a diluted or less saturated brown.
The Golden you referred to from crossing a brown and silver I say looks like a yellowish version of silver. I've had many.
My ideal golden would be with the bright gold tones like the one in Miami's avatar.
I myself was excited about making a version at least somewhat similar to it but IDK exactly how to go about it myself. I've had many an expert talk with me about them but nothing pans out to produce them.
I glimpsed something from @ChicKat in a post that I'm gonna have to go back over.
If anyone can dig up the details of them I'd place my money on her finding it.
Are you looking for something she wrote in the other thread?
I can find it. :D Give me a few minutes.

eta...I have no idea what I am looking for.:th
:confused:

Last edited:
I can find it. :D Give me a few minutes.

eta...I have no idea what I am looking for.:th
You got me rolling girl.
You're gonna find something but you don't even know what it is?

Funniest part is is that you did find exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you and thank you for the humor.

The problem is if you ask 3 different breeders what a golden is they'd probably show you 3 different birds.
Myself I don't consider any of them a diluted or less saturated brown.
The Golden you referred to from crossing a brown and silver I say looks like a yellowish version of silver. I've had many.
My ideal golden would be with the bright gold tones like the one in Miami's avatar.
I myself was excited about making a version at least somewhat similar to it but IDK exactly how to go about it myself. I've had many an expert talk with me about them but nothing pans out to produce them.
I glimpsed something from @ChicKat in a post that I'm gonna have to go back over.
If anyone can dig up the details of them I'd place my money on her finding it.

Yeah those colors sure are rich,huh?
The more I read the more I think that touching base with someone overseas,to get some background on what was done,if there's anything documented,will only help steer in the right direction. I like to plan ahead and with the incredible useful advice,info,and feedback I'm receiving from such good people here like @ChicKat it should prove to be a fun and enlightening journey.

Last edited:
You guys are giving me way too much credit. :oops: On the other hand, an old lady can do with a pat-on-the-back once in a while, and just don't pat too hard or she'll fall over. (I got me my google, me books (on chicken genetics) and me Henk's chicken calculator and maybe MOST important of all, the synergy of you guys} -- Kiki, Moonshiner and Miami Leghorns --as we each bring a part of the puzzle to the table and get each other thinking and talking about it. One big difference between me and Moonshiner is that he has real life experience with a lot of genetic tracing and I have theoretical. In the very end real life is probably the more reliable.

I betcha that perhaps the post mentioned is the one in Miami's thread. I'll be back with a link in an edit once I find it.

you guys are giving me way too much credit. :oops:. IMO it's the synergy of us all discussing this together and the magic of Google and some of the great Genetics books that I have. (And the chicken calculator where you can activate your theory). That said The Moonshiner has real life genetic experience and mine is largely theoretical.

Is post 81 on this thread what you were thinking of Miami Leghorns?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckwing-leghorns.1291747/page-9#post-21984704
Do y'all think we should discuss goldens there and lavenders here -- or is there no problem with the mixing?
I'll hop over there and put in something that I now see looking at that YouTube video again......

OH -- and in reply to something that HaikuHeritageFarms put in here....Who among us has had successive generations of lavender.....did you see a color fade to a lighter and lighter and lighter lavender. (I don't think we all have had the birds for that many generations. I think the ones I have in the pen now are the children of splits...so their lav gene would be refreshed.....But if these are bred for a few generations would the lavender begin to look like white?

you guys are giving me way too much credit. :oops:. IMO it's the synergy of us all discussing this together and the magic of Google and some of the great Genetics books that I have. (And the chicken calculator where you can activate your theory). That said The Moonshiner has real life genetic experience and mine is largely theoretical.

Is post 81 on this thread what you were thinking of Miami Leghorns?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckwing-leghorns.1291747/page-9#post-21984704
Do y'all think we should discuss goldens there and lavenders here -- or is there no problem with the mixing?
I'll hop over there and put in something that I now see looking at that YouTube video again......

OH -- and in reply to something that HaikuHeritageFarms put in here....Who among us has had successive generations of lavender.....did you see a color fade to a lighter and lighter and lighter lavender. (I don't think we all have had the birds for that many generations. I think the ones I have in the pen now are the children of splits...so their lav gene would be refreshed.....But if these are bred for a few generations would the lavender begin to look like white?
I'm working on LF Lavender Cochins but only have a year's worth of babies on the ground. Now, the parent stock leave a lot to be desired but the offspring were definite improvements. Less feather shredding, less dark ticking, larger, and more uniform coloring overall with less leakage issues. This struck me because I did not separate any of the parents. I had vigor and vitamin deficiency problems with the originals when they were young and only kept those that did well. My conclusion is that there must be some affect of the Lavender gene that can influence their vigor. Now, with that said, I have not had those issues with the Isabels. Just the incomplete feathering in the straw-colored areas on the cockerals. Now, it seems to me that it can be improved, in the short-term, with excellent nutrition and access to extra vitamins and forage. The sire cock bird I have here seems to have improved after being allowed to forage with my layer flock. Maybe it doesn't affect the isabels as badly because they aren't solid Lavender? No idea. Make of that what you will.

Back
Top Bottom