Lavender color question

Thespoiledchicken

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Long Island
I need help with the Lavender gene please. I am purchasing a quad of Lavender Ameraucanas from someone who says her birds occasionally throw a black chick. From my understanding of the Lavender color that would be impossible. If Lavender is recessive and needs 2 copies there is no way for them to hide/ throw black chicks, is there? All four birds appear Lavender.

Is it possible (my theory) that one of the birds is most likely a very light Blue Ameraucana/ split for Lavender and therefore throws black? Am I just really confused and way off?

The seller is in another state so I am going on pictures- birds are gorgeous. One does appear to be very pale Lavender, could this one be a splash or blue? And- if so how could I tell? I am new to Lavender so any advice would be great
big_smile.png

THANKS!!!!

Here are pics of the quad

breeder+updates+2-14-2012+060.JPG

breeder+updates+2-14-2012+063.JPG

I agree with your assessment-it sounds like one of them must be a blue. Lavender breeds true and an all lavender breeding should not yield black chicks. I ordered some lavenders a while back (eggs) and ended up with a blue. It took me a while to figure it out, and I wouldn't have except that as he got older he showed some red leakage. His leg coloring also wasn't as uniform (more splotchy) but that may or may not be an obvious indicator.

That looks like a blue (or possibly a black, having a hard time telling on the monitor) in the background-I wonder if that bird is responsible for the black chicks? Do they keep them separate?

I agree with your assessment-it sounds like one of them must be a blue. Lavender breeds true and an all lavender breeding should not yield black chicks. I ordered some lavenders a while back (eggs) and ended up with a blue. It took me a while to figure it out, and I wouldn't have except that as he got older he showed some red leakage. His leg coloring also wasn't as uniform (more splotchy) but that may or may not be an obvious indicator.

Thank you so much! This is what I was thinking, now to figure out who is not the real Lavender
hmm.png

That light colored one has me suspicious!

Thanks again!!!!
Trish

Just from the picture, it does look like four lavenders to me ... but then I am not an expert ... it also looks like the blue one in the background is in the same pen ...

I think that must be it! She was selling Lavender eggs so I just assumed they were penned alone. Maybe she occasionally mixes up eggs or something.

Thanks guys for your help!

Trish

Back
Top Bottom