Lavender experts needed!.... Again.

chickeneyfoot

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 17, 2011
I have some lavenders and lavender splits.
If I breed the splits to splits would it produce lavs? Can I sell the splits as blacks without lavs poping up?
Thank you.

Although you need to understand you'll get those ratios in a large enough sample. If you hatch 10 you may get a much different result. If you hatch 1,000 or more those ratios should hold true.

Nope, there is no way to tell the pure black apart from split black/lav.

I hatched out some blacks/splits? With some with a little white fluff on their beard. I assume thats the splits? the others are pure black and pure lav. IF I bred a pure black with a lav what would happen? And what would happen if I bred splits together?

Any black chick can show white fuzz on their chick down. It does not indicate the lav gene is recessive in a particular bird.

Lav to black = 100% black chicks, all carrying the lav gene
Split to split = 25% lav, 50% black split (carrying the lav gene), 25% black (no lav gene)

Sorry, can you give me the lavender breeding percentage. Like lav to split and lav to black and lav and lav?
Thanls

Charlie,
Your orpingtons are beyond beautiful and trying to understand poultry genetics.
So far i read females only get 1 gene and that is from the father. Sons get one gene from the mother and one from the father. So..,
Breeding a pure lavender female to a pure black male would result with: females black 50%, males black split with lav.50%

Breeding (mom) pure lavender female to (son) black split with lav = black female 25%, lav female 25%, all lav male 25%, black split with lav 25%
Breeding (daughter) black female to (father) pure black = all black offspring 100%
breeding ( daughter) black female to (son) black split with lav = all black male 50%, all lav female 25%, all black female 25%, black split lav male 25%

I noticed on backyard chickens your numbers were different. Where did i go wrong? Also on the lavender splits, will there be any lav feathers or will they look all black? If what i read is true, how can you have a split to a split if the female can only be black or lavender? Or did i not read up enough that there are other factors to consider about color? Appreciate your input

Breeding black to lavender will result in 100% black chicks split for lavender (carrying one copy of lav). Gender does not matter.

Breeding lavender to a black split will result in 50% lavender, 50% black split for lav, again gender does not matter
Breeding black split to black split will result in 25% black, 50% black split to lav (still visually black), 25% lavender, regardless of gender.

Back
Top Bottom