Lavender Orpington project ....

Hi There - such a handsome guy! I am on the "other" side of the State :) Can you give me the contact information of the farm you picked your birds up from?

Many thanks in advance.

we just bought some buff orp's today so cute. We have some lavender Coronation Sussex, we're thinking of maybe letting our coronation rooster breed with the 2 buff pullets once of age. Just wondering has anyone else done this cross? And if so what were the results?

we're thinking of maybe letting our coronation rooster breed with the 2 buff pullets once of age. Just wondering has anyone else done this cross? And if so what were the results?
not done the cross myself. but I know the outcome of such cross...

Coronation Sussex are eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(Columbian) S/S(dominant sexlinked Silver) lav/lav(recessive lavender)

Buff Pullets, as Buff orps or what breed?..

most self buff birds like orps are eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(columbian) Db/Db(Dark brown, this gene may or may not be pressent on these birds) s+/-(recessive sex linked gold) Lav+/Lav+(none lavender)..

if you do this cross you will hatch. females that will look like Light sussex but more restricted(less black in them, due to the powerful restrictors found on buff birds). they may lack the normal light sussex black hackle feathers altogether..

their genetic make up would be eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(Columbian) Db/db+. S/-(they will get their Silver gene from dad, mother cant pass this gene to doughters)..

the males will hatch out like light sussex and will look like light sussex cockerels(with the aforementioned extended restriction) untill they start maturing, they will show some golden tones instead of the silver tone found on silver sussex, this is due to their mothers gold s+ gene..

their genetic make up is going to be. eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(Columbian) Db/db+? S/s+(S from dad and s+ from mother. S is incompletely dominant thats why some gold leaks thru the silver)..

this is how they will look(mostly, and without the barring on hackles. this male is a cross of a Delaware male and RIR. the Delaware have the simmilar genotype as the light sussex)

all of the birds will carry the lavender gene, but wont show it as it a recessive gene and needs two copies to show it.

Thank you Nicalandia, so 2nd gen we would/might get the lavender colouring. Might just try and find a lavender orp and a black orp. but not been able to find one any where in Australia yet
not done the cross myself. but I know the outcome of such cross...

Coronation Sussex are eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(Columbian) S/S(dominant sexlinked Silver) lav/lav(recessive lavender)

Buff Pullets, as Buff orps or what breed?..

most self buff birds like orps are eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(columbian) Db/Db(Dark brown, this gene may or may not be pressent on these birds) s+/-(recessive sex linked gold) Lav+/Lav+(none lavender)..

if you do this cross you will hatch. females that will look like Light sussex but more restricted(less black in them, due to the powerful restrictors found on buff birds). they may lack the normal light sussex black hackle feathers altogether..

their genetic make up would be eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(Columbian) Db/db+. S/-(they will get their Silver gene from dad, mother cant pass this gene to doughters)..

the males will hatch out like light sussex and will look like light sussex cockerels(with the aforementioned extended restriction) untill they start maturing, they will show some golden tones instead of the silver tone found on silver sussex, this is due to their mothers gold s+ gene..

their genetic make up is going to be. eWh/eWh(Wheaten) Co/Co(Columbian) Db/db+? S/s+(S from dad and s+ from mother. S is incompletely dominant thats why some gold leaks thru the silver)..

this is how they will look(mostly, and without the barring on hackles. this male is a cross of a Delaware male and RIR. the Delaware have the simmilar genotype as the light sussex)

all of the birds will carry the lavender gene, but wont show it as it a recessive gene and needs two copies to show it.

Here is my known rooster. Not bad looking considering I have no idea what I'm doing LOL

Now tell me if this one is a roo or a hen

Sorry the pic isn't better. Just got a camera that I don't know how to work<G>. But serious l have one, Iavender hen that I know for sure is a hen and one roo but this one has me confused.

I apologize if I'm asking what has already been written, but I really don't want to go thru 191 pages to find the answer. I am fairly new to chicken raising. I have spent hours upon hours researching and have every chicken book and magazine imaginable. I did the day old chick thing then immediately went to hatching my own eggs (I'm so obsessive that I hatched 19 healthy chicks out of 22 shipped hatchery eggs in a cheap $40 incubator -one month later they're all still thriving). I actually enjoyed turning my eggs 5 times a day. Now I have all the egg and meat chickens I want (23 total). My new goal is to get beautiful chickens of better quality that I really enjoy (and who don't scare me when I walk into their home). I'm not the kind to show chickens, so my goal is just to have a set of beautiful lavender orpingtons that I breed for fun and for my own stock. I'm not worried about profit either. I'm now in the process of bidding on ebay, and I'm determined I'll have my hatching eggs soon. So here's my question, and it's pretty general: What do I need to keep in mind when breeding lavender orpingtons? Any suggestions? I have read something about occasionally breeding them with a black orpington? Is that true? Can I take two from the same hatch (when they get older) and breed them together to make more lavenders? I've heard conflicting things on this already, but want more information on why or why not? I'm not picky about my meat and egg layers, but I want to get this right, so that is why I am researching way ahead of time.

I apologize if I'm asking what has already been written, but I really don't want to go thru 191 pages to find the answer. I am fairly new to chicken raising. I have spent hours upon hours researching and have every chicken book and magazine imaginable. I did the day old chick thing then immediately went to hatching my own eggs (I'm so obsessive that I hatched 19 healthy chicks out of 22 shipped hatchery eggs in a cheap $40 incubator -one month later they're all still thriving). I actually enjoyed turning my eggs 5 times a day. Now I have all the egg and meat chickens I want (23 total). My new goal is to get beautiful chickens of better quality that I really enjoy (and who don't scare me when I walk into their home). I'm not the kind to show chickens, so my goal is just to have a set of beautiful lavender orpingtons that I breed for fun and for my own stock. I'm not worried about profit either. I'm now in the process of bidding on ebay, and I'm determined I'll have my hatching eggs soon. So here's my question, and it's pretty general: What do I need to keep in mind when breeding lavender orpingtons? Any suggestions? I have read something about occasionally breeding them with a black orpington? Is that true? Can I take two from the same hatch (when they get older) and breed them together to make more lavenders? I've heard conflicting things on this already, but want more information on why or why not? I'm not picky about my meat and egg layers, but I want to get this right, so that is why I am researching way ahead of time.

If they are going to be for meat and eggs and for yourself it will not matter. Eventually keep one roo and use that for breeding daughters.
Giving breeding advise is hard to do. Most chickens are for food and not for breeding. It is hard to find good breeding stock.

I am working on my lavender pen and while reading through some of these posts it is mentioned to breed back to a PURE black orpington for type. Where do ya'll find pure black ones? Many I have seen are from BBS orp pens. I don't want any hidden genes to deal with and I suppose that is why pure is recommended but where to find them? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom