Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics

Not a lav, but just as cute!! my one and only silver spangled hamburg chick!!

I thought it was a SSH egg..but now im not so sure...could be a silver laced wyandotte..lol should of marked the eggs!!! Lmao

So I am looking at getting around 2-5 lavender (and/or blue) orpington chicks sooner rather than later is possible and had several questions. My main one is if anyone else has noticed if the males tend to feather out slower/differently on their wings than pullets? I noticed with my 6 BOs that when I picked out chicks about 3-5 days old with longer wing feathers (three layers) vs the chicks with stubby wings and only two layers of feathers that my gender guesses are 100%. Now these were all hatchery stock so I'm sure that helped. I also noticed the bin of sex links, pullets had the three layers and roos had the stubby wings as well.

Long story short is it just a hit or miss with breeder chicks vs the hatchery stock? Trying to set myself up for success. I am not opposed to having a rooster at all, but would like at least 2 hens and prefer to get them when they are fairly young.

And does anyone on here know any breeders in the Seattle or Tacoma area they might recommend? I found some leads on craigslist that may be worth a call but word of mouth means a lot to me so figured I would ask here first. Thanks in advance!
smile.png

So I am looking at getting around 2-5 lavender (and/or blue) orpington chicks sooner rather than later is possible and had several questions. My main one is if anyone else has noticed if the males tend to feather out slower/differently on their wings than pullets? I noticed with my 6 BOs that when I picked out chicks about 3-5 days old with longer wing feathers (three layers) vs the chicks with stubby wings and only two layers of feathers that my gender guesses are 100%. Now these were all hatchery stock so I'm sure that helped. I also noticed the bin of sex links, pullets had the three layers and roos had the stubby wings as well.

Long story short is it just a hit or miss with breeder chicks vs the hatchery stock? Trying to set myself up for success. I am not opposed to having a rooster at all, but would like at least 2 hens and prefer to get them when they are fairly young.

And does anyone on here know any breeders in the Seattle or Tacoma area they might recommend? I found some leads on craigslist that may be worth a call but word of mouth means a lot to me so figured I would ask here first. Thanks in advance!
smile.png
I noticed that males feather out a little slower then the females... but thats not the best way to tell if you have a male or female! Its just hit or miss on those sort of stuff! And you know what!? I got my lavenders from Seattle! They have the best Lavender EVER! They are so gorgeous! I even got to see the parents! I will look for them on Craigslist for you! I think I saw one of their adds on there a little while back!

Thank you very much, how do you try to sex orp chicks? So far besides vent sexing this is the only thing I've figured out. Once they're about 4-5 weeks its always been pretty obvious who my Roos were based off their combs. I just found it interesting that for me it seemed pulled had long pointy wings and roos had short stubby ones early on.

Thank you very much, how do you try to sex orp chicks? So far besides vent sexing this is the only thing I've figured out. Once they're about 4-5 weeks its always been pretty obvious who my Roos were based off their combs. I just found it interesting that for me it seemed pulled had long pointy wings and roos had short stubby ones early on.
You can always look at the shape of there head and how thick there legs are, and at a young age my roosters always developed there comb and waddles early!

Back
Top Bottom