Lavender Orpington Thread

Cuddles. The BEST chicken in the world to me.
April 23, 2014 - May 14, 2016
She died in my arms a few moments ago. Sadness beyond words....

Cuddles not only responded to her name, but she was trained to do several tricks. She was trained to peck at certain targets & would "talk" to an audience by pecking at the chosen words. She also played her part in the "physic chicken" magic trick. Besides all that, she was my friend & beloved pet. I have other lav orps, but none like Cuddles.

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

My Lav Orp and her little owner, Hadley :)

Cuddles. The BEST chicken in the world to me.
April 23, 2014 - May 14, 2016
She died in my arms a few moments ago. Sadness beyond words....

Cuddles not only responded to her name, but she was trained to do several tricks. She was trained to peck at certain targets & would "talk" to an audience by pecking at the chosen words. She also played her part in the "physic chicken" magic trick. Besides all that, she was my friend & beloved pet. I have other lav orps, but none like Cuddles.

So sorry.
hugs.gif

What happened to her, if I may ask?

RIP Cuddles

I have a quick question about my observations of my lavender chicks. Since this is my first go around with this breed i thought you guys with more experiance could give me an answer. I have noticed that 2 of my chicks are very solidly lavender and 2 have more yellow mixed in especially on the head. My question : is this an early indication of sex or just a common variation within both sexes of the breed? As there feathers have com in they have lost most of the yellow, but my very solidly lavender is most likely a little roo, his wattles and comb are much larger and very pink.

I have a quick question about my observations of my lavender chicks. Since this is my first go around with this breed i thought you guys with more experiance could give me an answer. I have noticed that 2 of my chicks are very solidly lavender and 2 have more yellow mixed in especially on the head. My question : is this an early indication of sex or just a common variation within both sexes of the breed? As there feathers have com in they have lost most of the yellow, but my very solidly lavender is most likely a little roo, his wattles and comb are much larger and very pink.
The larger, pinker comb/wattles are the best early indicator of gender. (Sometimes we can predict at 3.5 weeks.) The down fluff color doesn't seem to mean much. Some people breed for feather sexing - meaning that the males feather out slower & look like porcupines with stubby wings & tails, while the girls get wing feathers in just a few days. This only works if the breeder selects for feather sexing.

Here are 2 choc orps where this is the case. The male will eventually grow in his big fluffy feathers, but for now he looks pathetic. This does not work for my own line of lav orps

Thanks so much! I was thinking it probably wasn't as it seems likely that I have a roo of each style of down and a pullet of each as well. That's one more roo than I want, but I will just pick the best of the two for breeding and trade the other back to the breeder. She is very sweet and said she would swap out. I have a black Orpington the Sam age as my older two LOs about 6 weeks I think maybe 5. Later I wanted to post a picture and see if you guys think I have a pair or 2 Roos. I'm fairly certain the BO is a pullet.

I've been wanting lavender orpingtons for a long time. We finally have a local breeder so I picked up a couple yesterday. They are just the cutest. This is Lauri and Laura. I can't really tell which is which so will have to wait till they are a little older to figure that out. :) I also picked up a couple chocolate orpingtons too. The lavenders seem much more mellow and not as noisy as the chocolates.

I've been wanting lavender orpingtons for a long time. We finally have a local breeder so I picked up a couple yesterday. They are just the cutest. This is Lauri and Laura. I can't really tell which is which so will have to wait till they are a little older to figure that out. :) I also picked up a couple chocolate orpingtons too. The lavenders seem much more mellow and not as noisy as the chocolates.

They're beautiful! What did you use as a background? The white really brings out they're color.

Back
Top Bottom