Laws-Council approval

3-little-chooks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
Please help me!! I live in Australia and my local council regulations require me to have my coop 1m from the fence and 6m from the house, BUT I am planning to make my coop in an existing shed thing that is about 30 cm from the fence and too close to the house!!!!! What do I do??? Any bright ideas would be appreciated.

Are you sure that they are not minimum distance requirements instead of maximum or set distances? They are probably set back distances from the house for some type of health reasons to have livestock away from living quarters. Anyway..... You could have a pseudo coup the required distance and temporarily house your chickens in the existing shed. If anyone inquires (highly unlikely) then tell them that they are in the shed while you build the coop. It may take you a lifetime to build it.
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it is in Australia but here in the U.S. most sheds are movable. look at the very bottom and see if it looks like it has a couple of 4 x 4's running the length of it. if so you can simply hook a vehicle up to it with a tow strap and pull it. it would help if said vehicle was a four wheel drive.

Last edited:
A lot of these so called by-laws have little enforcement in my area especially.
I have slightly less than an acre of land and therefore am only allowed to have 6 chickens.NOT!! Anything over an acre you can have as many as you want.

Depending on your neighbours and your situation sometimes it may be just as easy to as for forgiveness rather than permission.

Last edited:
In theory I could move the shed but the thing is it is on wooden stilts which are anchored to the ground. I have moved it once when our house had renovations but we used a small excavator to lift it up and move it but since the Reno we haven't been able to get an excavator in the back yard. I reckon there would be a way to move it I just don't know how.

We moved a fair size wooden shed I am guessing 10x12 with a crew of people 4 to 6 with levers. The good news was we only had to move it 4 to 5 feet as I recall.

We jacked the structure up and lowered it on two timbers that served as rails to skid along.

We used long poles to serve as levers under the structure about 2 feet at a time and lifted up on these levers to move the structure along inch by inch on the rails.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom