layena vs flockraiser

I've been feeding Flock Raiser to my flocks since I started with chickens 3 years ago. I will usually feed the "biddies" a bag of Medicated Starter but when it's gone they all go on the Flock Raiser. I use it for everybody, chicks, layers, roo, guineas, quail. Everybody is in perfect health and lay the prettiest eggs!

Quote:
so I really don't need laying pellets for the girls...they can eat flock raiser from about 3 weeks of age until they leave this earth...if so, what is the difference in price between the laying pellets and flock raiser?aproximately...I know you don't know all the prices for every store. LOL

If your chickens are laying eggs you should supplement Flockraiser with oyster shell as the calcium in Flockraiser is too low for good eggshell production over time. Eventually the chicken would be using skeletal calcium (from their own bones) to form eggshells with...not good. And oyster shell is dirt cheap.

In some areas fish meal can be bought in a bag, sort of like dry pet food. It's not available in my area so I don't know how/where to tell you to go looking for it.

ok. Thanks for answering that question both of you....I'll check on that this week from the Southern States near me. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Darnit, i've been only giving my hen oyster shells when i let them free range. She eats a lot of that stuff too.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:
so I really don't need laying pellets for the girls...they can eat flock raiser from about 3 weeks of age until they leave this earth...if so, what is the difference in price between the laying pellets and flock raiser?aproximately...I know you don't know all the prices for every store. LOL

Yup you can feed them Flock Raiser. I'm not sure about Layena, I only bought it once, 3 years ago, but the FL is $15 for a 50lb bag at the feed store in the next town over.

I'll try to get picks of my chicks for you tomorrow. They are about 10weeks old. A few of them are already bigger than my Game Hens, especially the EE's.

One thing I did for the chicks was to grind it for the first few weeks. Even though I get it in small pellets, it's a little to big for the chicks.

I also give the free access to oyster shell and crushed egg shells.​

D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:

I also feed Flock Rasier and oyster shell on the side. Mainly because I free range a variety of ages together, but also because I think they do better on the 20% protein. IMO it's nice to only have to store one type of feed
smile.png

The price difference here is Flock Raiser +$2 (the higher protein feeds just cost more)
and all of my birds free range most days, so I don't worry about the lack of animal proteins in their "feed" since they get lots of goodies out of the yard.​

Back
Top Bottom