Laying eggs in the poop dish

I have seen coops where is just a area for them to sit in, not a "box". Any ideas for inexpensive nests? I have three girls, do I have to have three nests boxes? I would like to have two nice sized ones then three tiny ones.

I saw some posts where they used old milk crates, the plastic ones, on their side. Any thoughts?

They will lay wherever they feel it's 'safe'....anywhere from right on the floor in the wide open to a dark box covered with a curtain.
There's no one answer that fits all keepers, all flocks and all situations.

It's a balance you'll have to find, that works for your flock and coop, between where they want to lay and where you want them to lay.

Because they are new layers, and you are a new keeper, it will be an adjustment period of up to a month or so before you and the birds figure out what will work.
Just keep trying things until you find what works, tho remember that sometimes, more often than not, they will balk at new things and they need to time check it out and decide if it suits them. Have patience, be creative and have fun.

I have seen coops where is just a area for them to sit in, not a "box". Any ideas for inexpensive nests? I have three girls, do I have to have three nests boxes? I would like to have two nice sized ones then three tiny ones.
I think 1 nest for every 2 is ideal ---i have 2 for 6 hens & it has not been a problem, but inconvenient when 2 get broody and become nest hogs.

plastic milk crates laid on the sides with front opening to walk in would be fine….but add a cover ? cardboard or plywood to darken.

Even a cardboard box laid on its side would work as an overall nest "shelter" and dollar store plastic wash bin or cat litter trays placed inside would work.

Today I am so happy that our little lady did lay a egg "close" to our intended spot! Thats better than in the poop dish.

What I plant today is to take a milk crate on its side, add a slanted roof (So no roosting on top) and get it a get off the ground. Or is that necessary to get it off the ground?

I'll send pictures and yes I am having a blast!

Today I am so happy that our little lady did lay a egg "close" to our intended spot! Thats better than in the poop dish.

What I plant today is to take a milk crate on its side, add a slanted roof (So no roosting on top) and get it a get off the ground. Or is that necessary to get it off the ground?

GOOD!!!

Doesn't have to be off the ground, tho it might give yo more floor space if you have a small coop.

Life's little pleasures…laying near is much better.
yippiechickie.gif

@brijetterom

Love your avatar, that is swiss chard isn't it. I had never seen it til recently at a local, independent nursery. It is so gorgeous. Bought 2 with xmas red stems and planted on my deck. Use it for chicken treats and they love it. They told me it came in yellow and orange stems, but the red stems are knockout!

Back
Top Bottom