Laying eggs in the poop dish

I've had several new layers lay on the roost board at first, not unusual.
I'd not change the roost or board but improve your nests, try using straw or hay instead of the paper shreddings.

Pics of your nests might help folks make better suggestions.

Nests should at least 12x12x12, but bigger is better.
Mine are 14x14x16, plenty of room to turn around and get things comfy to settle.

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

+1 on changing your nest to straw or shavings and adding curtains. My curtains are simply feed bags cut down and nailed over part of the nest. They are 4-6 inch open spots for them to see for entering. They like to lay behind the curtain.

The "poop board" is just a tray I have under the roost they sleep on to catch a majority of their droppings.

Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions! I will do some work to the coop today and see what happens. I will post some photos too!

Here is my attempt at making a "nest Curtain". don't laugh, they are my old mans old boxers!! HA! I plan on getting hay today for the boxes to replace the paper shavings.

Tell me what you think. I just rearranged the coop this way, so I will know in a few days if it is working or not.

Thanks!

Here is my attempt at making a "nest Curtain". don't laugh, they are my old mans old boxers!! HA! I plan on getting hay today for the boxes to replace the paper shavings.

Tell me what you think. I just rearranged the coop this way, so I will know in a few days if it is working or not.

Thanks!

The window makes the corner way too bright. Bad place for a nest. The sun shines into the corner. You need a dark shadowed area. I would pick a darker corner. I also believe we all were thinking there was a lid over nest box.

One of these nest boxes made from a tote will be quick and easy, and you can take the lid off to collect the eggs. But remember to put it in a dark corner.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Love the boxer shorts curtains. Mine are made out of DH old jeans.

I agree, there is too much light there. And they will move to a darker area unless you adjust it. You could use a box, or a plastic bin on it's side to add a "roof" and hang the boxers in front to darken…Cut the bottom of the boxers about 3-4" " wide strips from bottom to a few inches from the top..kinda flaps so the girls can see the nest inside….and I bet they'll use the nests.

Thanks!

Where's the nest?
You need a box with a lid for a nest IMO...they feel safer and it's darker.

My nests, 14 x 14 x 16" have a 10" holes entrance holes(with no curtains) that face north windows...so they are not dark but are cozy.

Back
Top Bottom