Laying hens getting into medicated starter feed?

TerryBowleg

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
I’ve got my layer hens and 10 week chicks in separate coups/runs right now. I let them both out in the morning and they free range for most of the day. I leave their coups/runs open so they can go back and get water and food during the day. My layer hens have discovered the chick’s starter feed and will spend some time chowing down on it for part of the day. Are there any issues with that? I’ve read it’s not a big deal but just double checking. Thanks!

I’ve got my layer hens and 10 week chicks in separate coups/runs right now. I let them both out in the morning and they free range for most of the day. I leave their coups/runs open so they can go back and get water and food during the day. My layer hens have discovered the chick’s starter feed and will spend some time chowing down on it for part of the day. Are there any issues with that? I’ve read it’s not a big deal but just double checking. Thanks!
Medicated chick feed is no problem with laying hens.

Medicated chick feed is no problem with laying hens.
I read this somewhere…but sounds like not much to worry about

A note on medicated feed: Some may have heard that the eggs of laying hens that have consumed medicated chick feed are unsafe to eat. Most medicated feeds contain amprolium, a medication which inhibits the absorption of thiamine in the protozoa that causes what is known as coccidiosis. The FDA does not recommend a withdrawal period for amprolium, meaning eggs can immediately be consumed from hens that have eaten feed medicated with amprolium. However, amprolium can be found in egg whites and yolks up to 10 days after the medication is removed, but the level does not exceed the U.S. tolerance level of 8 mg/kg. We advise individual discernment as to whether or not to eat the eggs of layers eating medicated feed since amprolium blocks thiamine absorption.”

I read this somewhere…but sounds like not much to worry about

A note on medicated feed: Some may have heard that the eggs of laying hens that have consumed medicated chick feed are unsafe to eat. Most medicated feeds contain amprolium, a medication which inhibits the absorption of thiamine in the protozoa that causes what is known as coccidiosis. The FDA does not recommend a withdrawal period for amprolium, meaning eggs can immediately be consumed from hens that have eaten feed medicated with amprolium. However, amprolium can be found in egg whites and yolks up to 10 days after the medication is removed, but the level does not exceed the U.S. tolerance level of 8 mg/kg. We advise individual discernment as to whether or not to eat the eggs of layers eating medicated feed since amprolium blocks thiamine absorption.”
Yes, it's safe.

Back
Top Bottom