Laying only yolks with a “tail”?

chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
877B315B-1DEE-480C-B159-9B340561A45C.jpeg
68E76B69-53F6-4A57-B2AE-E0CB34591E0D.jpeg
62A3E5AB-D869-44A1-9BEB-C60D0BD47929.jpeg
My pullets are 6-7months old. I’m not sure who laid these, but there were two right next to each other this am. Looks like just yolks (milky though), in a thick membrane and both have an extension, tube or tail coming off. Anyone ever seen this? And is it concerning?

All chickens appear to be in good health.

Looks like a soft shelled egg. Newly laying pullets will often start with those.

Add more calcium to their diet if you don't have them on layer feed yet.

You can either put them on layer or provide oyster shell on the side.

It should clear in a week or two at most, but keep an eye out if one hens is consistently doing that beyond her start up laying.

LofMc

Thanks! My pullets have been on layer feed for a while, I also add some oyster shell to their feed as well as have it available free choice. 11/13 of them have been laying since August. That’s why I’m concerned because I’m thinking it’s one of my girls who has been laying for a little while now.

I’ve had a few soft shelled eggs but they’ve never had a tube coming off of them, and always have egg white as well. These two just seemed so strange to me!

Looks like a soft shelled egg. Newly laying pullets will often start with those.

Add more calcium to their diet if you don't have them on layer feed yet.

You can either put them on layer or provide oyster shell on the side.

It should clear in a week or two at most, but keep an eye out if one hens is consistently doing that beyond her start up laying.

LofMc

Thanks! My pullets have been on layer feed for a while, I also add some oyster shell to their feed as well as have it available free choice. 11/13 of them have been laying since August. That’s why I’m concerned because I’m thinking it’s one of my girls who has been laying for a little while now.

I’ve had a few soft shelled eggs but they’ve never had a tube coming off of them, and always have egg white as well. These two just seemed so strange to me!
And they were right next to each other, and seemed to be laid by the same hen. So she would have had to lay them both this morning.

In established hens, suddenly having soft shelled eggs can be a sign of viral disease (Egg Drop Syndrome, Newcastle, Infectious Bronchitis)...so keep an eye out for any unthriftiness, sneezing, raspy sounds, diarrhea.

Likely it is just an anomaly from two egg yolks forming closely together and not being encapsulated by the shell gland because of their location in the tract together.

Since it was a soft membrane encasing a yolk, I am not expecting salpingitis or abdominal infection. If you begin to see "lash eggs" (hard, cheesy, weird shape discharges), then a hen has an internal infection.

Sometimes when a hen is disturbed off a nest, or has a fright, it can throw her mechanics off. So can the shortening day light and she comes towards the end of her laying cycle for the winter.

My thoughts.
LofMc

In established hens, suddenly having soft shelled eggs can be a sign of viral disease (Egg Drop Syndrome, Newcastle, Infectious Bronchitis)...so keep an eye out for any unthriftiness, sneezing, raspy sounds, diarrhea.

Likely it is just an anomaly from two egg yolks forming closely together and not being encapsulated by the shell gland because of their location in the tract together.

Since it was a soft membrane encasing a yolk, I am not expecting salpingitis or abdominal infection. If you begin to see "lash eggs" (hard, cheesy, weird shape discharges), then a hen has an internal infection.

Sometimes when a hen is disturbed off a nest, or has a fright, it can throw her mechanics off. So can the shortening day light and she comes towards the end of her laying cycle for the winter.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom