Laying strike?

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
This is Lulu the Bovans Brown. She used to be one of a two-bird flock but her friend was killed by a raccoon a little over a month ago. She hasn’t layed an egg since the attack - she was previously an almost daily layer. I am guessing that maybe the stress triggered a soft molt and that's why she's not laying? In that time, I also replaced her dead friend with two 8 week pullets and moved them all into a slightly bigger coop, so there have been a lot of changes in her world.
She seems otherwise healthy, though I do notice more of her feathers around the yard than I used to. She eats and drinks well; lately she’s been eating a grower crumble like her new friends with free choice oyster shells, and supplemented with dried black soldier fly larvae for extra protein. She also mainly free-ranges in my small, suburban back yard.
Any other tips? Right now I have 3 birds and no eggs, which is not an ideal ratio
😂
291959316_10102301628490799_2420474622016786089_n.jpg

I am surprised that she has not been laying after that much time. I see you are north of me, so I am assuming your days are getting shorter.

My suggestion, is the next day off, sit out there with a cup of coffee, and a book. Sit out there for quite a while, checking on where she is. AArt is thinking a hidden nest, and sometimes you are absolutely positive they do not have a hidden nest and they do.

If she disappears, follow her. Otherwise, you are right, she is in a long slow molt, and more than likely nothing till spring.

Mrs K

She also mainly free-ranges in my small, suburban back yard.
She may have found a better place to lay what with all the disruption.
Might do a butt check then keep her confined until she uses the coop nests again.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

She may have found a better place to lay what with all the disruption.
Might do a butt check then keep her confined until she uses the coop nests again.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Okay, so her pubic bones are more than 2 fingertips apart. I don’t know how tight/moist/large her vent is supposed to look, so I can’t really tell whether hers indicates laying or not. (EDIT: More research makes me think it's fairly tight and dry). She’s been mostly confined to a run for the past week or so, so I really don’t think she’s laying somewhere else. She often will hang out in the nest box for an hour or so midmorning, but still no eggs (we are now at 7 weeks of no eggs.)

ACCA9812-0B14-48C1-ADBD-081EB881892B.jpeg

She still seems healthy, as far as I can tell, but I’m not a great one to recognize health problems in chickens yet. She doesn’t seem to eat or poop a whole lot, but she does eat and poop at least some.

The only issue I’ve seen recently is some occasional poop in her butt feathers. I gave her a nice bath the last time I noticed it, maybe 3-4 weeks ago, and trimmed some of the feathers back there. I have just noticed a little bit more. Am I allowed to post a picture of her butt here?

She seems happy enough, and my best guess is still a very soft molt, but I’d hate it if she were either secretly suffering OR sick with something that she’ll pass on to the new pullets.

Last edited:
I’m wondering that. I think she’s about 2; when we got her last June (2021) she was young but laying regularly, so probably at least 6 months if not older, which would make her at least 21 months if not older. She’s definitely a breed bred for laying and laid all last winter, but I know that slows down with age.

Okay, we’re still at week 12 with no change and no eggs. She has some totally bald spots on her underside, but she’s had those for a few weeks and they don’t seem to be growing new feathers? She still hangs out in the nest box sometimes and occasionally sings the egg song, but not a single egg in nearly 3 months. Any feedback or suggestions?

Attachments

• 715D6E5E-5BFA-4733-85AB-8C4DA3B5062D.jpeg
    715D6E5E-5BFA-4733-85AB-8C4DA3B5062D.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 53D14944-BCC6-4866-BF58-05612FC4C976.jpeg
    53D14944-BCC6-4866-BF58-05612FC4C976.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom