Learning Basic Framing [pic]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixpantsmaloney, May 9, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    When I see this photo:

[​IMG]

...I'm left with a million questions.

Like with the roof, what comes first- the center "truss" along the roof peak or the roof supports?

Even if I measured 2 dozen times I doubt I would be able to notch those roof supports so they'd rest on top of the wall. How do you pull that off?

In short, I need a good resource for just the basics of good framing. Yeah, I'm handy and can build good-enough structures, but I want to be REALLY good. It seems like many of you have very handy DH. Unfortunately, in this instance *I* am the DH with only basic skills.

If anyone is looking to take me on as a charity case, I live in Akron, OH.

Cheers,
    Brian

2. Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
  3. IMO what that pic shows is someone who knows what they are doing. If you have the cash to fork out that kind of money, to learn, do it. I stick to the straight stuff. Then again, I am a plumber and we only use sawz-alls. [​IMG]

4. Stonebriar Farm

Stonebriar Farm Out Of The Brooder

Hi Sixpantsmaloney -

Everyone starts somewhere and learns as they go along. If you are lucky you have a relative, neighbour or friend that can help you with the basics, but not everyone has that.

My Mother was widowed at the age of 32, with 4 of us children under 8 years-old. She started out making an extra bedroom in the basement, moved on the various lawn furniture, then to a fireplace at the cottage, an addition to the cottage and finally a log home. Her first attempts were rough, her log home was beautiful.

I understand the desire to be excellent - I'm not there yet but I'm still trying.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Sixpants,
    There's no rule saying that you have to go with a peaked roof. You can always do the 'lean to' or 'shack' style roof like we did; accomplishes about the same thing only with less headroom...unless that's a concern. You can see what I'm talking about on our website on the henhouse page.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

That pic is a pretty advanced design. I'd probably start out a little more basic- like a shed roof. Here's a link to a really good, simple plan. It gives you some options for flooring, and includes templates for the notches in the roof- and it's without a doubt the most accurate and detailed plan I've seen online for free!

http://just-sheds.com/1201.pdf

7. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
  8. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Thanks for the prudent and thoughtful comments. I do tend to expect too much too soon, not realizing just how advanced others' skills are.

I am working up, as I noted before, to a shed in my backyard. It will have a traditional barn-type roof so I'm very interested in trying it now.

But of course, were I more sensible, the flat roof keeps the rain off just as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by