Leaving chicks out during thunderstorm?

Picklesquidly

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2015
Flower Mound, Texas
(I apologize if this isn't the right section!)

So here in Texas, we've been getting lots and lots of rain and thunderstorms. I just have a simple question; is it alright to leave my chickens out during a thunderstorm, in their coop, or should I bring them inside? Its actually currently raining right now; chickies are outside with the heat lamp.

There is a tarp set up over the coop to protect them from the rain, but it could possibly still get wet inside the coop. My chickens (chicks?) are 5 and 6 weeks old; the 6 week old chick is a standard, and the the younger ones are little bantams.

Thank you!

Last edited:
It really depents on how storm-prooft the coop is and on the storm. With a coop out of concret, bricks or something like that, I would be okay with every stormfront coming. But I have a wood shed so my chicken come in when a storm with more than 80 kmh or 50 mph comes up.
Its annoying enough to rebuild parts of your coop, house, garden.... after a storm without seaching for little frighten chickens. I have 20 bantams and three cats and yes, last time a storm came my living room was a mess.

We have a very heavy and sturdy wood coop; and it doesn't get very windy. Only issue is tornadoes; chicks come inside when that happens
tongue.png
Thanks for the tips!

I personally would rather have lighting fried chicken then lighting fried people. Let them fend for themselves. They normally will seek shelter if necessary. I would also fix that coop so it doesn't get wet inside.

Back
Top Bottom