Leg bands?

While it's been stated that "they can tighten" I have yet to see a credible post from any one who has actually experienced this phenomenon!
I guess the OP has had it happen too.
I have not had that prob with the leg band zipties I use, but I have had other zipties that are too easy to close and thus can kinda see how they might tighten on their own.

I guess the OP has had it happen too.
I have not had that prob with the leg band zipties I use, but I have had other zipties that are too easy to close and thus can kinda see how they might tighten on their own.
Yes, I've seen it mentioned quite a bit in various FB groups I'm in as well, so it does indeed happen. Is there any particular brand or attribute one should look for when purchasing zip ties? I would like to be able to use them still, they just make me nervous now.

I would like to see someone post the details about such an incident. Was the remaining tab cut off flush with the securing mechanism? How soon after application did it happen? Is it possible that it was a growth issue, and not a self tightening issue? How old was the bird? If it self tightened, there would have been a length of tab sticking out past the securing mechanism.

I would like to see someone post the details about such an incident. Was the remaining tab cut off flush with the securing mechanism? How soon after application did it happen? Is it possible that it was a growth issue, and not a self tightening issue? How old was the bird? If it self tightened, there would have been a length of tab sticking out past the securing mechanism.
I have posted the details twice in this thread.
4 month old Barred Rock pullets, four of them.
Zip tie attached loose enough to swivel, yet not so loose as to fall off. Cut flush with tab using sidecutters.
Applied approximately 5pm.
All found very tight on the legs the next morning.
Cut them off, applied new ones same way, found tight that afternoon.

I will concede that it's possible I got a bad bag of ties, but the implication that I'm lying is a little off-putting. And I do perform a visual inspection of each bird twice every single day.

I certainly hope you didn't think that I was implying your experience did not happen. Because, that was far from my intent.

I can't remember the brand, I know I picked them up at either Wal-Mart or Rural King. Only thing different than when I used zip ties previously is these ones I bought were smaller. Maybe a little bigger has better teeth?

When I put them on, I cut the excess flush. When I checked later, there was excess. Somehow, someway, those ties tightened within a few hours. Now, whether the pullets were playing with them or what, I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom