Leg bands?

I've used colored zip ties, and my girls still have all of their legs. Zip ties are just like other things: the user must exercise common sense. I do visual inspection when ever I am with my flock. When ever I sell a bird, the zip is removed. No bird leaves my property with a zip tie on her leg. This might not be a good idea for the flock keeper who has multiple flocks, or hundreds of birds, but it works well for me with my flock which varies from 25 to 50 birds.
:goodpost:
Have used colored micro zip cable ties for YEARS on end.
Never a single one ever tightened it's self or cut the circulation of on the leg.
It DOES NOT CAUSE MORE MAINTENANCE.
Chicken owners are suppose to periodically inspect your birds for mites and other parasites anyway.
We never wait for an epidemic of parasites to explode. So while we are checking the poultry for pests, A QUICK LOOK AT THE CABLE TIE.
Also right down in your records, "RED TIES ALL CHECKED for parasites on XX/XX/XXXX.
Green cable ties all treated for mites on XX/XX/XXXX.
Cable ties (micro size) come in endless colors.
We Tie a different color on ALL right legs for age.
Tie different colors on the left leg for treatments/sales etc.
ANYTHING that leaves our farm gets it's cable cut.. period. No exceptions.
We have major inventory and all have cable ties.
Not a single bad experience through out the years.

Anyone can use what they wish as far as banding is concerned. Just please don't condemn cable ties on false pretense. If used properly, they are an inexpensive solution that works.
20171103_175606.jpg
20171103_175653.jpg
20171103_175615.jpg

I've never banded my birds...However I have used a lot of zip ties and there are certainly different levels of quality depending on how much you spend. Some Walmart cheapies wont lock at all and just come right off. Maybe an explanation as to why some have bad luck with them tightening or falling off. Just a thought, no experience using as leg bands.

While it's been stated that "they can tighten" I have yet to see a credible post from any one who has actually experienced this phenomenon!

The ribs on the micro ties from walmart are tiny, but I've yet to find a tie that has not done the zip as they are intended to do. B/C the ribs are so tiny, I will occasionally get one backwards, and have to flip it around the right way in order to get it to work.

Back
Top Bottom