Leg bands?

I always assumed that these were spiral.
BR30-500x500.jpg
Those would be a bear to put on,
and I don't think would expand with growth,
but might depend on the material.

I have used the snap-on plastic bands too, and they can come undone out there. The wide spiral numbered bands also come off!
Wing bands are the most reliable, except that they can't be seen without holding the bird.
I do 'flock mating' rather than keeping track of individual matings, so colored leg bands work fine for me.
Mary

I tried these. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JHLJTQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They fit most of my birds except the large feather footed and the larger roosters. I did not snap them together so they did not stay on. They would likely be fine if they are snapped together.
I use the same style on my pigeons. (besides their permanent bands on other leg) Blue for boys and pink for girls. I use 8 mm size. Easy for me to ID which group is going to fly. Never had any open. If opening is an issue, a tiny drop of glue in joint should solve issue. :yesss:

Yes, the zip ties tightening surprised me too, but it really happened, three days in a row. I cut them as short as I could, and they'd be tight every morning. And I put them on loose. And my chickens don't have a foot disease, Lol.

I'm using colored orthodontic rubber bands for chicks now and have some colored hair ties to try for older birds.

Yes, the zip ties tightening surprised me too, but it really happened, three days in a row. I cut them as short as I could, and they'd be tight every morning. And I put them on loose. And my chickens don't have a foot disease, Lol.

I'm using colored orthodontic rubber bands for chicks now and have some colored hair ties to try for older birds.

Huh, weird. Were you using regular scissors/sheers/pliers to make the cuts to the tie when you put it on? We have a set of "flush cutters" for just this purpose and they are fabulous at cutting it so there is nothing to be pulled and cause any tightening.....

I have used the snap-on plastic bands too, and they can come undone out there. The wide spiral numbered bands also come off!
Wing bands are the most reliable, except that they can't be seen without holding the bird.
I do 'flock mating' rather than keeping track of individual matings, so colored leg bands work fine for me.
Mary

Toe web marking has 16 different combinations or different marks and toe punch marks can be read without picking up the bird. I have a hard time however understanding why someone would go to that trouble unless they handled their birds from time to time just to see how well or how badly they were doing.

Nothing fattens the calf like the eye of its owner.

Huh, weird. Were you using regular scissors/sheers/pliers to make the cuts to the tie when you put it on? We have a set of "flush cutters" for just this purpose and they are fabulous at cutting it so there is nothing to be pulled and cause any tightening.....
I used sidecutters, it baffled me too, believe me. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I have time to give them a lookover twice a day, so I can watch to see if the spiral leg bands move, but I don't have time to consistently catch and cut a zip tie off every day.

Well Update to my original post: I want to thank everyone for all the comments and assistance. I did view every one. I also weighed heavy on my options. I decided against zip ties because I have worked with them and on several occasions they tightened on there own during use, so that was that. Next I looked at a lot of leg bands on the market and decided to go with ones from Happy Hen Treats. I got 3 different sizes and was pleased with the results. My 20 hens and 2 roosters were all leg banded last night at roost time. These leg band came with a card inside that stated which size would fit each breed usually. There is always an exception to that rule. Anyway it all came out fantastic. I put color bands according to breed. (EE- green, RIR- red, Barred Rocks- yellow and Brown Leghorns-purple) plus you could write on these and I put their names on them. The band's clicked on firmly and I just tried them on for size if there was any doubt. It worked beautifully and smoothly. I guess now only time will tell how efficient they will be. Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom