Leg Bands

X2Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Homer, GA
So as I get more stock, I'm needing to get leg bands for organizational purposes. I've looked at several different kinds, even thought about zip ties.

I was hoping to be able to go with a color coded number and letter system. I had thought that'd help figure each individual blood line, generation, and parent stock....in some form of organized fashion. I've got a system floating around in my head, I just need to get it down on paper and hard copied.

What do yall use, what have yall tried and liked, disliked. And, HOW do you figure out the sizes? Thats confusing me the most.. is what sizes I'd need.

Thanks!

I'm using the thin zip ties in several colors including neon. I can either put number codes on them with a sharpie or use a few different colors on each bird to link them to blood lines etc.
I have all the colors coded, so even without the numbers I can recognize what I have.

Please be sure that you use the correct size, i had to cut off a band on one of my neighbor's chickens because it was too small (or she grew into it) and it was inbeded into the foot.

I like the plastic number coded bandettes. There are many colors of them, and numbers as high as ...... If needed, if you have more than that many of a breed with one color, you can use 2 bands. There is a size chart where they sell the bandettes.

As of now all my chickens have names and I know where they come from by memory, but when the time comes I will use numbered bandettes of certain colors to distiguish. I as of now band all of my birds with just bands w/o numbers so I can tell what generation I'm on. All of my first generation (or bought) BBS Bantam Ameraucanas get a blue band on their right leg. All of my first generation Wheaten Bantam Ameraucanas get red bands on their right leg. the next generation will get a different color. This is the system I use

Quote:
Kathy, seeing your Dels with em is what got me really thinkin about it.

I especially like the idea of color coding, as that really helps, at a glance.

I'd originally thought about zip ties, though taking them off is usually a pain.

WhiteMountainsRanch.. I like your ingenuity with your leg bands!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Kathy, seeing your Dels with em is what got me really thinkin about it.

I especially like the idea of color coding, as that really helps, at a glance.

I'd originally thought about zip ties, though taking them off is usually a pain.

WhiteMountainsRanch.. I like your ingenuity with your leg bands!!!
thumbsup.gif

I have saw chickens die from infections resulting in zip ties getting inbedded in the skin. I highly discourage that! I would go with the bands that expand a little depending on condition

I use the plastic numbered bandettes also. This year I just started using the Jiffy Wing Bands. I apply them when they chicks are 4-7 days old. I keep track of them before that by marking their backs with different colored sharpie markers.

Back
Top Bottom